What's new

5.1 receiver and subwoofer help (1 Viewer)

ebner19

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Ebner
i'm having my basement finished and have a home theater going in. i'm having 5 polk audio's mc65's installed for the 5.1 surround sound. i'm also having 4 polk audio's mc60's installed in the ceiling for music listening. i need a good receiver that will run the speakers separately. i have not picked up a sub woofer yet either because i don't know what watts i should get? can anyone help?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bill:

Welcome to the HTF!

I deleted your duplicate thread in the Receivers/Separates/Amps forum. Please just one thread per topic please.

I'm sure answers will be coming in soon.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
i'm also having 4 polk audio's mc60's installed in the ceiling for music listening
Is this critical music listening or background music listening? Is this in the same room as the other Polk speakers?

A 2 zone system could work. You can wire the pars of in-ceiling speakers in series and wire each pair to the zone 2 R/L output.

Wattage is a useless number when choosing a sub. The main thing that determines your sub will be your budget. I can help you choose something from $100 to $20,000. Once the max budget is chosen, then you need to figure out the largest sub you can live with. Some people don't want anything larger than a shoe box. Others can live with a sub large enough that you can climb into. Finally, you need to set your goals. Do you want earth shattering bass during action movies? Reference levels at 15 hz costs money so make sure your goals aren't competing with your budget or size constraints.

ebner19

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Ebner
the four speakers in the ceiling will be for background music. they are in the same room, the room is a long rectangle so the home theater is a fourth of the room and the rest is for pure entertainment. there are three ceiling speakers in that area and one at the bottom of the steps that is another large area for entertainment. i'm looking for a subwoofer in the 200-300 dollar range. i need just enough bass for watching movies not earth shattering.

ebner19

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Ebner
i'm also thinking of installing speakers upstairs that will be ran in series with the ones downstairs, so that whole house will have the same background music.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do you want the upstairs speakers to always be on at the same time and the same volume as the downstairs speakers? If not, then you need to add additional equipment like impedance matching volume controls.

Lava Subs 12". Call or e-mail and tell them you are a HTF member and you get 15% off. Haven't heard of Lava? Check out the Speakers and Subs section where a few guys have bought them.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
All 7.1 receivers can be set up as 7.1, 7.0, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1, 5.0, 2.1 or 2.0.. Usually, all you have to do is wire the speakers and the auto calibration detects what you have automatically. Just make sure to wire the surrounds to the side surround outputs, not the back surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks