What's new

Help connecting HDTV to in-wall speakers via Yamaha HTR-5730 (1 Viewer)

jerkyboyz2jerkymen

Auditioning
Real Name
Jurri
Hello!

I'm looking for the easiest way to connect my budget Toshiba HDTV (which has an optical output) to a 5.1 in-wall speaker system (front L/R, front center, back L/R, subwoofer) through a Yamaha HTR-5730 receiver. Will it be possible to use banana plugs, or should I get banana plug to RCA cable?

Here's a link to additional photos of the TV and in-wall panel:

Any help is truly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 108

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Not sure why you would need to go banana plugs to rca unless the apartments wired the in wall speakers to a plate using rca connectors in the wall. Otherwise just use the speaker terminals with the bare wire plugged in. Do you have a cable box or anything else? If you just have the TV and the receiver it is not going to give you much ability and you are stuck with only the content that is broadcast in surround. You mentioned the apartment being wired for 5.1 surround and hopefully they do not have all the speakers in the ceiling. The only thing I can suggest is to go back and trace your wires to make sure your main left and right are hooked up to the large binding post on the left. Disconnect your surrounds from your B speaker and connect them to the surround channel above. I also do not see a center speaker connected to your center channel on the receiver. This is my recommendation if you use what you have. Otherwise I would at minimum ditch the old Yamaha for a Home Theater in a box which would be the most economical. Does your TV have HDMI on the back or is pre HDMI and only has the rca video connector? Otherwise the first suggestion is the only thing you can do and if you add a cable box it would have to have a single video out and a left and right stereo out. Hope this helps.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It should be pretty simple. The optical output uses an optical cable to an optical input on the receiver. Then you have a 5.1 speaker system which should have regular speaker wire for L/C/R and L&R surrounds which are connected to the Front A L&R, center and L&R surrounds. You don't use the B speaker connections. The one question is if the subwoofer is powered, in which case you would use the line level RCA subwoofer output and an RCA cable to connect them.

Then you need to set you speaker levels with the receiver's setup, but that should get things going.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks