What's new

5 1/4" and 1" tweeter kit recommendations? (1 Viewer)

bruin

Second Unit
I have 2 old bookshelf enclosures already refinished with cutouts for a 5 1/4" driver and a 4 1/8" (1-inch)tweeter. The enclosure dimensions are 13"x8"x9". It has a 2" diameter port.

Anyone know a kit that will work with these enclosures without any woodworking adjustments? I don't have any woodworking skills and would like to use these enclosures rather than by new ones.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Try to figure out how thick the walls are so you can calculate the internal volume. How long is that 2 inch port ? What is the exact diameter of the driver cutouts ? You will need some luck to pull this off.

bruin

Second Unit
it's 3/4" mdf all around...and the port is about 3" long but I can cut this with a small saw.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
That's an awfully high port tuning, somewhere around 80Hz. Do you know what the boxes were designed for?

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Is the port on the front or back? Also, is the 5 1/4" driver hole rebated for flush mounting or surface mounting? If it's surface mount, then you could use my sealed design with Vifa drivers, but you'll have to block the port - not ideal. As Dan said, the ported enclosure is tuned quite high at 80Hz, so IMO you'd be better to tune lower if you wish to keep it vented, or block the port and go sealed. If you're interested, my design is at my hometheatre site here:

http://www.massey.ac.nz/~jcmarsha/hometheatre

Just click through to the speaker page.

bruin

Second Unit
Here a link to what the enclosures look like. They used mcm 1855 mids and an mcm tweeter. One of the tweeters doesn't work and I don't really like the silver outlines.

mcm bookshelf

Jonathan,

The port is at the back. The driver cutout is recessed but if Vifa Mid is wider then I can drill new holes. Can you provide me the diameter of the Vifa midrange?

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Hi Bruin,

The vifa mid has outside diameter 149mm. The cutout needed is around 120mm IIRC. There's a link from my site (refer above) to the specs etc. They're available both shielded and unshielded - I used the shielded set. They are surface mounted, so they may work fine in your enclosure - you should check the specs on vifa's site.

The crossover info etc. is all on my site as well if you want to implement it. The Vifa drivers are cheap, but the speakers certainly sound good.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks