What's new

3D won't play through receiver, whats my next best option? (1 Viewer)

mberta2

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Bertalot
I am new to the forum. My name is Mike. I wouldn't consider myself an amateur, but I am far from an expert. I have a 47" LG LED 3D Google TV, LG BP620 3D Blu Ray player, Yamaha RX-V463 receiver, Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 center and surrounds, and Definitive Technology BP-8020ST Bi Polar Supertower fronts. I tried running my Blu Ray through my receiver but 3D wouldn't work. I still have my cable box run through my receiver with hdmi, but I had to run my blu ray hdmi direct to my tv then I ran optical from my tv sound out to my receiver. Would I be able to get an hdmi splitter and run one to the tv and one to the receiver for my blu ray? Would I really notice a difference from optical to hdmi? If so should I get a passive splitter or a powered splitter? What would you guys do with my setup (and don't say buy a new receiver, haha)? Thanks guys.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The LG bluray player you have will decode both DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD and pass it as LPCM (which your receiver will accept) so you should get better sound quality via hdmi vs optical. But it looks like the LG will only output decoded Dolby True HD in stereo and not 5.1 although it will output Master Audio in 5.1. I'm not sure how well an hdmi splitter will work but maybe others can elaborate. Sorry, but I don't know the benefit of a powered splitter vs a passive one.

mberta2

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Bertalot
Ok that is a viable option, but I did just spend a ton of money on the tv, blu ray, tv stand, and fronts. Squeezing another $250 out of my wife isn't going to be easy. Would my idea of an hdmi splitter work? It would be true sound then wouldnt it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The problem there is the sound would be dumbed down to 2.0...because of the TV. (I think...I've never used a HDMI switch. I would have bought a twin HDMI out BD player to have eliminated this issue) You'd be better off running a toslink/digital coax to your AVR(if the BD player has toslink/digital coax) and switching back and forth between "HDMI audio" and "optical audio" for 2D and 3D movies. Once you learn how to do that, it should take all of 10-15 second in your set-up menu of the BD player each time you go from 3D to 2D and back. Even then you have to play around with the HDMI.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've never used an hdmi splitter either so I'm not sure what would happen. Un-fortunately that LG bluray player doesn't have component video output either. If Sam's suggestions don't work for you then I guess it comes down to having hi-res audio or 3D video. Try hooking up the LG to the receiver with hdmi and another from the receiver to the display and put in a 2D disc with DTS Master Audio or TrueHD. You should be able to switch between hi-res audio and Dolby Digital on the remote (I hope so anyway) and see if the difference is noticable. If it isn't that much of an improvement then hook the hdmi straight to the display and use the optical for audio. If it is noticable (it is to me :) ) then get an hdmi splitter and pray it works. They aren't that expensive anyway. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2 Maybe an email to monoprice first might ease your mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks