What's new

24: Season Six thread (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

It probably says something about how I see "24" that he admitted it immediately. I thought for sure he was going to drag it on doing his best to keep the facts hidden while trying to address the situation. Maybe the fact that there isn't much time left in this day is causing things to move at a brisk pace. I like it.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I'll withhold final judgment on S6 until I can can pound it out on DVD, but I'll say now that while the writing seems to have taken a dive in quality, I am quite impressed with the ensemble of new actors, especially Powers Boothe and Ricky Schroeder.

How about let's see what happens in the last episodes before passing final judgment? I did not like the first half of S3 at all, but it got markedly better towards the end. We can always hope that will happen here...

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Theres a huge difference between half a season being disappointing, and 5/6 of a season being disappointing though.

Nothing that could happen in these last episodes would be able to make up for the horrible season that preceded them.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

I think that it has hurt in other seasons as well. I wouldn't mind see three 8-hour segments make up a season (or some other combination). Resolve two smaller crises that lead into a larger one to finish off the season. While it wouldn't be one long day, I think something like that would still be true to the show and would give the writers more flexability. The three segments could be separated by days or weeks.

Neil

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Heller was there in no time!

Morris wants his transfer right now! In the middle of the night!

Buchannon isn't even given time to clean out his desk!

This kinda thing is really becoming distracting to me. That doctor was "presumably" waken up outta bed, threw on a suit and was at CTU ready to inject Audrey in 15 minutes!

I know its the name of the show, but the "real time" aspect of it is becoming too much to accept. Things happen and I think, well that will play out a few episodes down the road... and then before you know it, the VP has the drop on a guy he didn't even know existed 10 minutes earlier!

I know... If it were more realistic, then not much would be happening in the middle of the night ie: Presidential staff meetings, psychiatrists in suits, etc... It just isn't working for me.

I still love this show and Jack, but as much as I hate to say it, "24" is seeming a little broken to me.

Maybe next season can play out over 24 days. Then they can keep the name of the show the same, but that would free Jack to do some real traveling and have things play out in a more realistic manner. I'd love to see Jack in NYC, China, Russia, London...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, about halfway through the season I was thinking "well, the show is off to a slow start, but it can totally be redeemed in the second half of the season". Obviously that hasn't happened and even if they have the best season finale ever I'll still say this is the worst season of the show yet.

A buddy called me today(one who I got hooked on the show several years ago by loaning him S1 on DVD incidentally) and his exact words were "it was like a soap opera last night". I think that sums it up and shows the real problem with this season--too much focus on uninteresting subplots with Morris, Chloe, Milo, Nadia, etc. In the past the supporting characters were much more interesting and actually quite integral to the show, but now I just find most of them annoying. Hopefully they kill everybody in these final 3 episodes(except Jack of course) and start from scratch next year.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

At this point, I would welcome moving the show out of L.A. to a different location. I think that's exactly the kind of "shake up" the show needs going into season 7. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Bill: Well, it's nice to be back at CTU-

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! Ka-BOOM! gurgle.......

Just another day at CTU.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, and not the part that was nuked! No wonder traffic is light! (though I seem to remember Doyle trying to flag down an endless stream of cars)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Nah, Bill's totally cool. I'd keep him around and waste everybody else at CTU(including Chloe if she's gonna keep acting like a jilted schoolgirl). :D

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Tediouser and tediouser.

The Ballad of Jack and Audrey

The Ballad of Chloe and Milo

The ballad of Daniels and Blonde "Surface" Woman

Monday, 4-30's episode belonged on the Lifetime channel. First time I striuggled to stay awake during 24.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I think it might be nice to have them shake up the start time a bit

They have. Almost every season has started at a different time.
S1 - midnight
S2 - 8 am
S3 - 1 pm
S4,S5 - 7 am
S6 - 6 am

As long as they stick with the 24-hour format, I don't see how the start time has anything to do with the quality of the show. S5 started an hour before this one and was one of the best seasons, maybe the best.

> It was never explained how Wayne Palmer became President.

Yes it was. They had this thing called an election where people voted for him. I realize that's a crazy way of becoming President on this show, but that's how it happened.

NolanJ

Second Unit
Why do I have the feeling that maybe Chloe committed suicide? It's not in her character but when they couldn't find her at the end of the show I was wondering what she was doing.

Anybody think this is a possible explanation?

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I agree with this. Have Jack and Audrey out somewhere on their honeymoon, or whatever, and have Jack stumble across a nefarious plot. More Die Hard-ish. Jack can still call CTU and get technical help, but no more of this "arrest Jack; he's gone rogue" because he's basically got no back-up.

Throw in that CTU is the midst of a minor conflict and them having to split time between that and Jack's, and I think it could work.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
More likely cornered by a cougar, dontcha think?

Does everyone really think that this season's episodes "play too much like reruns of last season's"? Didn't last season's also seem awfully familiar, and weren't there the same criticisms then? And the season before that? And the season before that?

It's a formula. And I suspect if "24" previously had changed gears, even non-radically, re-tooling itself into something at least inarguably different, it would have lost viewers who criticized it for doing just that. After all, this is mass-market entertainment calibrated to the lowest common denominator for the purpose of appealing to the broadest possible audience. You change that formula at your own peril.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks