What's new

24-Pre-empted AGAIN? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Actually I don't have any problems with the networks airing it. The only thing I don't get is the need to air a useless rebuttle by the opposing party. The state of the union address isn't a debate! But, I digress...
The news networks are predominantly liberal (except for Fox News, which usually leans the opposite way). The current president is a conservative. That's all I'll say on that:)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Since the airwaves belong to the public, it makes perfect sense why the State of the Union is carried on the broadcast stations. They are supposed to be operating in the public interest as part of their licenses. As far as I can remember, the opposing party's response has also always been carried as part of the news coverage.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Oh, come on -- they've been airing the rebuttal regardless of which "side" is in office.

And your premise is full of baloney too; shame we can't get into it :)

//Ken

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
the opposing party's response has also always been carried as part of the news coverage.
I may well be remembering incorrectly, but I think that the opposing party’s commentary began after the Supreme Court made their ‘equal time’ ruling.

Basically they held that the both parties were entitled to the same amount of time on TV/radio. This has been applied in modified format to debates (a party needs to have a certain base of support before they can force their presence on a debate). This equal time provision was also applied to the State of the Union message. At least I think that this is the sequence of events.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly, 24 was preempted for a for quite a few weeks in a row last season as well. This works out better so that we can have episodes in March (unlike other shows, which have reruns after February sweeps).

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
It just makes for a lot of skipped weeks.

12/17 - Last new one before XMAS holiday
12/24 - not on
12/31 - not on
1/7 - New Episode
1/14 - New Episode
1/21 - not on
1/28 - not on
2/4 - New Episode - Hopefully it will be some time now before any skipped weeks.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
The 24 story has so many characters and twists, that I have trouble remembering everything week to week, not to mention month to month. When they skip a bunch of episodes in a row, I really need a industrial strength "previously on 24" intro when the show comes back on!

Deborah

Dan M~

Second Unit
Hey Patrick Sun.... is it time for a new "24" thread to begin!!!!

Only about 24 hours until the story continues...

:D

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
DeborahK - What I have done is saved my taped copy of the previous episode before each of these hiatus'. Then watched them again, followed immediately by the next new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.