What's new

2022 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
If they can use this to get balls and strikes correct it improves the game greatly in my eyes.
If they didn’t have guys like Angel Hernandez on the field maybe they wouldn’t need to go to robot calls.
Unfortunately the league is either too afraid, or too hamstrung by the umpire’s union to get rid of poor umps, or to even forbid the bad ones from ever working in the postseason.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Every time I read something about parts of the umpiring job being taken from the humans and assigned to machines or whatnot, my first and last thought is always that the umpires brought this upon themselves by going out of their way to protect their authority to be wrong.

How many years and decades of obviously blown and bad calls have there been? How many times was it obvious that an umpire missed a call, where he was the only person in the stadium who saw it wrong, and every other spectator and team member and home viewer instantly saw it was wrong, and yet, it couldn’t be challenged in any way? How many times have we heard announcers say things like, “so-and-so has a wide strike zone” or “a high strike zone” or any other similar type comments revealing how subjective it was? Whether something is a ball or strike shouldn’t change from day to day.

My disgust boiled over that day that that young pitcher threw a perfect game, the umpire blew the final out call, and all of a sudden, it’s not a perfect game. It was ridiculous. And the best solution was for the umpire and pitcher to write a book about forgiveness together? When it’s immediately obvious to everyone but the umpire that the call was wrong, that cannot be a mark of pride about the human element. That is just false pride and stubbornness.

Now with all of that said, I don’t think the implementation of replay so far has been handled well. It’s become another delay of game thing. Years ago, when he was the Red Sox manager, Terry Francona had the simplest, least disruptive option. You put an extra ump up in the broadcast booth. He gets the birds eye view of the field and sees all of the TV monitors, the same views that allow the home viewer and announcers to immediately gauge when a call is right or wrong. If someone on the field gets a call wrong, the booth umpire would simply use a walkie talkie and provide the correct call to the field, fixing the mistake instantly. All of this stuff with challenges and umps leaving the field to watch a monitor only to return to deliver some kind of grand hand gesture, it’s just needless showboating and time wasting.

My opinion is that they should more technology to ensure accuracy, but that the use of that technology should be integrated in a more invisible way so as not to disrupt the game further. If everyone watching on TV at home can tell a call is wrong in five seconds, there’s no reason for it to take five minutes to come to the same conclusion at the stadium.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Every time I read something about parts of the umpiring job being taken from the humans and assigned to machines or whatnot, my first and last thought is always that the umpires brought this upon themselves by going out of their way to protect their authority to be wrong.

How many years and decades of obviously blown and bad calls have there been? How many times was it obvious that an umpire missed a call, where he was the only person in the stadium who saw it wrong, and every other spectator and team member and home viewer instantly saw it was wrong, and yet, it couldn’t be challenged in any way? How many times have we heard announcers say things like, “so-and-so has a wide strike zone” or “a high strike zone” or any other similar type comments revealing how subjective it was? Whether something is a ball or strike shouldn’t change from day to day.

My disgust boiled over that day that that young pitcher threw a perfect game, the umpire blew the final out call, and all of a sudden, it’s not a perfect game. It was ridiculous. And the best solution was for the umpire and pitcher to write a book about forgiveness together? When it’s immediately obvious to everyone but the umpire that the call was wrong, that cannot be a mark of pride about the human element. That is just false pride and stubbornness.

Now with all of that said, I don’t think the implementation of replay so far has been handled well. It’s become another delay of game thing. Years ago, when he was the Red Sox manager, Terry Francona had the simplest, least disruptive option. You put an extra ump up in the broadcast booth. He gets the birds eye view of the field and sees all of the TV monitors, the same views that allow the home viewer and announcers to immediately gauge when a call is right or wrong. If someone on the field gets a call wrong, the booth umpire would simply use a walkie talkie and provide the correct call to the field, fixing the mistake instantly. All of this stuff with challenges and umps leaving the field to watch a monitor only to return to deliver some kind of grand hand gesture, it’s just needless showboating and time wasting.

My opinion is that they should more technology to ensure accuracy, but that the use of that technology should be integrated in a more invisible way so as not to disrupt the game further. If everyone watching on TV at home can tell a call is wrong in five seconds, there’s no reason for it to take five minutes to come to the same conclusion at the stadium.

Exactly, they made this what it is.

That ump Jim Joyce knew immediately he blew the call and still wouldn’t change it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Exactly, they made this what it is.

That ump Jeff Goice knew immediately he blew the call and still wouldn’t change it.
I wonder if he even had a conference with the other umps right after that blown call at first base.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t think so.
Video seems to show him standing alone while discussing it with the players.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Congratulations to Scott Rolen.

1674722465600.png

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Appalling that Ramirez and A Rod got as many votes as they did- they were caught cheating by the current testing procedures and rules. Rolen shouldn’t be in, and I know there are many Phillies fans that feel this way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Appalling that Ramirez and A Rod got as many votes as they did- they were caught cheating by the current testing procedures and rules. Rolen shouldn’t be in, and I know there are many Phillies fans that feel this way.
Why is the Baseball HOF the only HOF that cares about performance enhancing drugs. I think it’s a joke! If Big Papi is in then they should all go in.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
On a non-HOF related topic, I enjoyed the Nolan Ryan documentary. As a child I caught him on the tail end of his career so all of his early-to-mid career accomplishments were a real eye-opener.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks