What's new

2016 NFL Off-Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Who thinks Dak is really that good as the Cowboys backup? I keep remembering how Ryan Leaf looked like a Hall of Famer in preseason and then couldn't handle the speed of the real game.

I want to believe....

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Who thinks Dak is really that good as the Cowboys backup? I keep remembering how Ryan Leaf looked like a Hall of Famer in preseason and then couldn't handle the speed of the real game.

I want to believe....
I don't remember Leaf every resembling a hall of famer. :huh:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't remember Leaf every resembling a hall of famer. :huh:
He actually did in three or four preseason games right after he was drafted. It was among the best QB play I have ever seen. But once the regular season started, well, yeah.

I'm hoping Dak can take the Cowboys somewhere once Romo's back goes out again.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I want to believe....

Preseason performances versus players who will soon be on waivers means very little. He may indeed be a decent QB, but I wouldn't base it on a couple of exhibition appearances.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I realize Jerry Jones shouldn't act as his GM, but as a chargers fan I would switch owners with Dallas in a heartbeat. At least Jones is passionate about the game. In SD we've got owners who are bean counters first (very, very first) and ... well I don't know what they are second.

In Dallas you've got an owner who has too much ego to realize he should have a GM but he loves the game. In San Diego we've got owners who I do not believe care whether they field a good team or not, as long as the profit it there. I'd rather be frustrated by the former than angered by the latter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I realize Jerry Jones shouldn't act as his GM, but as a chargers fan I would switch owners with Dallas in a heartbeat. At least Jones is passionate about the game. In SD we've got owners who are bean counters first (very, very first) and ... well I don't know what they are second.

In Dallas you've got an owner who has too much ego to realize he should have a GM but he loves the game. In San Diego we've got owners who I do not believe care whether they field a good team or not, as long as the profit it there. I'd rather be frustrated by the former than angered by the latter.
Jerry Jones got Al Davis fever. The difference is that when Al was in his prime, he actually was a great football mind.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Any stock tips? :)

Looks like Romo will be out for six to ten weeks with a broken bone in his back, sustained during Thursday's game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-back-cowboys-coach-reveals-article-1.2768198

- Walter.
Yes, I couldn't believe the Cowboys were so nonchalant about their depth at QB in the offseason. It was obvious to me that Romo wouldn't play much this season. I happen to believe Romo is a top-tier QB, but if he can't play, it doesn't matter.

What disturbed me last season was the Cowboys inability to win with any backup QB, yet when those backups went to other teams, those teams won. Jones is an easy target for creating a culture of entitlement in Dallas, but it goes beyond that. With the O-line the Cowboys have and their apparent talent at RB, if Dak can just play like he's been playing (the game is about to speed up, though, so we'll see), their defense can give up some scores and they'll still be in games.

Believe it or not, I am optimistic. Because now I'm not waiting for Romo's back to go out, and it's Dak's team. For better or for worse, I think that's a good thing. Albeit preseason, Prescott is leading the NFL in completion percentage (78 percent), passing yards (454), passing touchdowns (5) and quarterback rating (137.8).

But damn Romo's got heart. I feel bad for him--not as a rich athlete but as a competitor. When I watched him play in the first few games of last season, it was apparent that the game had slowed down for him, that he was reading EVERYTHING pre-snap and seeing EVERYTHING post snap. And finally, just when the game slowed down for him, it was all over.

It can be a cruel sport.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This could be the 2nd straight wasted season for the Cowboys due to the lack of a decent veteran backup QB behind the fragile Tony Romo. The rookie Prescott may end up being decent, but that's a lot of responsibility to put on the shoulders of a mid-round draft pick.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Broncos have named Trevor Siemian as their starting QB over Mark Sanchez and Paxton Lynch. Expect the team to run the ball a lot and rely on their defense. Can that work two years in a row in today's pass-happy NFL? It will be interesting to see if Sanchez gets cut, as Denver would save about $4.5 million in salary and a 7th round draft pick. Maybe Sanchez ends up in Dallas to backup the rookie?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Vikings joined the list of teams with a QB crisis, as Teddy Bridgewater is out for the season with a severe knee injury. They'll be rolling with Shaun Hill, a 36 year old career backup who has never played a full 16 game season. I remember him being a decent backup for the Lions, but that was probably 4-5 years ago. I don't think I would want to rely on him for a full season anymore, but the Vikings may not have much choice.

Teams like Tampa (Mike Glennon) and Cleveland (Josh McCown) are probably licking their chops right now thinking about what they may be able to get in trade for their backup QB's. Is a team desperate enough to trade a 3rd round pick for one of those guys?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not normally clog up the "real" football thread with this, but we had our fantasy league draft tonight. I'm the two time defending champ, and here's what I ended up with:

QB: Manning, Alex Smith
RB: Ingram, Duke Johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Yeldon, Hightower
WR: Julio Jones, Brandon Cooks, Golden Tate, Kevin White, Marcus Wheaton, Vincent Jackson
TE: Olsen, Gates
won't bore you with defensive players and kickers

Okay, it's time to start the regular season thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks