What's new

2009 PINOCCHIO Release - What's Missing (1 Viewer)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Sorry if I was confusing. I was talking about lines of dialog.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt

I did in fact read the first post. It doesn't state "lines of dialog" but rather "missing dialog" and "there may be even more sound elements missing". In that post due to old PC I was unable to play his examples and would like to know exactly where things are missing.

The post of ZackR mention about "the lines". It seem to imply he hasn't read the earlier posts. This thread also mentions about other problems such "Pinocchio's yellow shirt turns white" which I noticed on my region 2 SD. This was brought up by Chuck Pennington who started the thread. Since the Jungle Book with BR had "lines" problems, it was therefore unclear about ZackR. I would state "missing audio" rather than missing "lines of dialog.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I compared both the Pinocchio that I bought in Germany 2001 with the German Region 2 version. I found that the PQ of the new version is much, much better than the 2001 version. Also with the new version, Pinocchio's shirt changes to white from yellow when the spotlight is turned on him.

In regards to the audio. It was difficult for me to hear "Right" on both but I think I heard a sound on both that could have been "right". Not heard on the new version was "Look out, Pinocchio!" which I did hear on my older version. The subtitles on my older version indicated both "Right" and "Look out, Pinocchio!" On the new version there were no subtitles!?? So were the subtitles redone from the audio??

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I hadn't checked the subtitles on the UK version before but I see now that the words are not there although they can be very clearly heard on the audio track. Like Alice in Wonderland it gets curiouser and curioser!

Incidentally, there is no smoking warning on the UK disc. I will, of course, be complaining to the Disney organisation about this in the strongest terms. It is disgraceful that UK purchasers are being denied this interesting and educational supplementary disc feature.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but I missed this similar thread on this topic in the SD section.

Here is some information I posted on the topic in the HD forum:

Randy Thornton is one of the Executive Producers at Walt Disney Records (and a Grammy-winner, to boot!).

He has been involved in numerous restorations of the musical elements for the early Disney animated classics. At a different forum (of which he is an active member) I posted questions about the missing dialogue. This is his response:

So, his best guess is that it might be that the restoration team turned to a different audio source for the audio restoration of the film and didn't realize those bits had been excised. If true, if would be an interesting tale, but unfortunate.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

The warning supposedly is there. I haven't checked it myself yet, but it plays after the trailers, before the menu hits the screen. I thought it would play before the film starts, but that's not the case.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Seems likely. Those dialogue asides were not part of the album version of the song I grew up listening to on LP. The team likely found a source of the song that they thought sounded better, without realizing things had been added when it was mixed into the film.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Did a different restoration team work on the UK version than worked on the U.S. version? I have the UK version and the dialogue is intact.

Is it possible that licensing issues regarding the soundtracks have played a role in different audio being released in different regions? This strikes me as unlikely, yet I cannot think of any other explanation why the UK would have the "complete" audio whereas North America would not.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Both 'Right" and "Lookout Pinocch" are on the original EMI/Disney soundtrack 78rpm recording of "Give a little Whistle".
The recording is part of a set of 78rpm soundtrack records from PINOCCHIO released in or around 1940.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Is the UK release region-coded? Simple enough to just import it if it's not, but maddeningly annoying if it is.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
The UK Blu Ray discs are Region B coded and the bonus DVD is Region 2 PAL format.

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
I guess this isn't getting fixed. Anybody have any news on the sound issue?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
"Either way, Disney is way better than nearly every studio out there for issuing corrected discs so, if it's a problem, I'm hoping that there's a replacement offered at some point. "

Warner is pretty good as well. They have corrected a couple of mistakes with no questions. MATRIX REVOLUTIONS (Blu Ray) is their latest. Did not have to send in the the old disc to receive the corrected one. Disney has yet to comment on the audio "change" in this historical movie. It has been a while since its release.

Edited by bob kaplan - 8/19/2009 at 12:40 pm GMT

drrichardh

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard H Sutor
I realize this is an ancient issue that has been discussed by many and a consensus reached but being relatively new to this forum and still in the process of reading the various posts, I just found this one and have something to add.

First I need to note I will be turning 70 in a few days so I've had a chance to see a lot of "classic" films in first release. As a child my parents saw to it our family say as many Disney features as possible. Disney was one of the companies that also pioneered soundtrack albums even through the 1940s were the days of the 78rpm record.

In my record collection I have the RCA Victor three disk set of Pinocchio. It features all the major songs from the film and includes the introductory dialog for each song.

For those who were wondering if the "missing" dialog might have been something added in a second, third, or higher numbered release, I can verify those lines are there on the 1940s record album.

This next part has nothing to do with the above thread but I'm tossing this in anyway. When 33 /1/3 LPs became the standard for recordings Disney again was there with soundtrack albums but this time on there own label Disneyland Records. Pinocchio was the second LP released in their initial distribution (#4002). It contained the full musical score of the film but no dialog. When listening to the the LP, since this dialog had been burned into my memory as a child, my mind would supply the missing dialog. Then I had a brainstorm. What would happen if I played to old 78 rpm record and cued it up to the same song on the LP. I should note these LP were mono records.

Setting up two record players next to each other I'd listed to the LP first to catch the first notes of the song then find those same notes on the LP and hold the LP still while starting up the 78. To my amazement everything stayed in sync and gave an aural experience somewhat like stereo but with all the dialog voices coming from the 78 player.

So rest assured, Jiminy Cricket issued his confirmation "Right!" in the original release of Pinocchio.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Wow, thanks for that, and happy birthday! And keep enjoying those wonderful records. Sounds like you have a great collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks