What's new

2008 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I'd prefer the chick who does the FOX baseball show.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The AL holds the edge 1387-1317. It's only the last few seasons when it got so lopsided. Before that, it was pretty close.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Looks like Manny isn't the only one who doesn't want to play in Boston. Brian Giles vetoed a trade to the Red Sox today, saying he'd like to finish his career in San Diego (where he's apparently from).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kim Jones doesn't look good in still photographs, but in person and on television she looks very fine. I saw her at a Yankees game at Comerica and I thought she was very attractive, but she looks quite different in still pictures.

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's why I thought to post her after Erin Andrews got mentioned. There are obvious similarities in looks and style. And she does a decent job. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now Suzyn Waldman OTOH... :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Bad news for the Rays (and my fantasy teams) - both Carl Crawford and Evan Longoria have been placed on the DL.

LewB

Screenwriter

Unlike my beloved Yankees. :frowning:
I am posting this in an attempt to use some reverse psychology on the baseball gods (not to mention aura and mystique).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well sure the yankees need to have the baseball gods give them another championship.

were's a yawning smilie when you need one.
Not personal against you Lew, just the whole my poor yankees
thing is just too much.

I really do appreciate that this is just coming from
a fan of a team, i'm sure if it was my team that has
more titles then any other franchise in
sports I'm sure i'd still be asking for more too.(honostly no sarcasm intended)

LewB

Screenwriter
I understand (I think). Like any fan, I get upset when my team plays badly. The Yanks have been playing bad baseball of late.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lew:

Whaddya think of Girardi's line-up choices lately? They've got me (and my Yankee fan son) scratching our heads. For example, benching Damon (AL batting leader) but playing Sexson, DHing Nady. I know the Twins had a lefty going...but sometimes you need to just play your best players. He gives an awful lot of days off to guys who, I figure, should probably be in the game. I dunno. Just thinking out loud.

Ya know, he sat Abreu the other day--who has been on a tear. I'd say he's easily the Yankees MVP this year. I understand it's getting into the dog days and all and guys need rest...but they're putting themselves into a position where each game is a must-win (A-Rod's words, not mine) yet routinely have a marquee player or two on the bench...sitting. Does that bother you at all?

LewB

Screenwriter
Mike:
Girardi has been getting killed for these decisions in River Ave. Blues - A New York Yankees Blog while I just read a Mike Lupica column praising him for having the team 'this close' with all the injuries.
Damon crashed into another wall the other night and though they deny it, you have to wonder about his shoulder(s). Having said that, I agree that they need to have all their best in the lineup every night, they are too far down at this point.

I understand that pitching beats hitting, but they are not getting guys in from 3rd with less than 2 out. Melky (whose defense I love) is only hitting around .245 and has the same number of HRs that he did in May. Jeter has hit into 17 or 18 DPs and I contend that he hasn't been the same since getting plunked in the hand in May.

Just seems to be one thing after another, they have a make-shift rotation, whose 'stud' is Mussina, a 39 year old who seems to have re-discovered how to pitch. Guiess (sp) throws 6 innings of 1 run ball and the bull pen decides to blow up that day. Pettitte finally had a Pettitte-like outing and the offense goes in a coma. Hard to fault the pitching except for Kennedy.
I wonder if Paul O'Neill is available to come down from the YES broadcast booth and trash a water cooler ;) This team seems to need a shot of adrenalin or something along those lines.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's a long story...

:laugh:

But it sure keeps things interesting around the house! As he's gotten older (he turned 18 last month) it sure has gotten more intense. My wife has learned to keep her head low during Yankee/Red Sox series. :D

================

You're probably right about the Girardi decisions. There are probably a lot more things going on with the personnel then we, as the public, will ever know. Some of the decisions sure seem questionable, however. Another one was waiting to bring Mo in the other night until Martes loaded the bases up. If the game was that important...bring him in earlier.

And I don't know what to say about the reaction of Betemit & Cano on the ground ball Mo gave up. Weird. I guess you excuse Betemit for not playing that much 1B...but, then, why have him there at all?

==================

Hell, I'd bring O'Neill in and put a bat in his hands. I bet he could still turn on the ball. He and Kay had an interesting conversation a week or so ago about when athletes know it's time to hang up the cleats. He got pretty wistful. I guess it was around old-timer's day. Quite an ovation he got. I thought his was more of a story than Randolph's ovation.

But a good whuppin' on a water cooler just might wake those guys up!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Kinda like how they went on a tear after Girardi got himself thrown out of a game before the all-star break.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
really can't fault the pitching for any of the Yankee's problems. Girardi seems to know how to handle a bullpen. but damn, this offence just has to start hitting. Jeter certainly is off. he used to be able to come through with some clutch hits, but lately he just seems overmatched. i hope it's not his hand. and Cano, except for that brief spurt right after the break, isn't his normal second half self. hopefully Matsui will bring some consistency back to the lineup

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks