What's new

2008 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Thanks goodness the Cubbies are doing good this year, otherwise it would be one miserable season for me. The Indians have looked ahead to 2009, the Tigers are doing a Jekyll and Hyde and the Reds are in constant rebuilding mode.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Boston acquired Paul Byrd today, which is probably much-needed pitching help, given Boston had a 10-0 first-inning lead today (including 2 3-run HRs for Ortiz), and they're currently down 16-14 in the 7th!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That's not even worth acknowledging. Next thing you know it'll be used in the All-Star game. :rolleyes:Who would EVER think that could be a good idea?

============================

EDIT** Come to think of it...if a game gets to the 11th inning why don't we go to some ridiculous "free kick" kind of overtime scheme. We could throw three batting practice pitches to each of the nine batters in the line-ups and whoever hits the most home-runs wins. Geesh.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
is the baseball going to e televised.

i cant find anything but swimming and gymnastics on any of the schedules. zzzzzzz

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

If Chicago gets the 2016 Olympics, I'm pretty sure baseball will back. It wouldn't make much sense (at least to me) not to have Olympic baseball in historic Wrigley Field.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Of course, the IOC would probably insist on new facilities being built. That's how they roll.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Not that I expect baseball to return to the Olympics, or really care - as long as MLB doesn't co-operate, Olympic baseball simply won't be played at the highest level. Since MLB has no good reason to co-operate (it interrupts their season and theoretically competes with their World Baseball Classic), and the Euro-centric IOC sees it as just an American sport, it'll probably be a long time before baseball is part of the Olympics again.

Which is fine with me - I'm far more interested in the Red Sox than Team USA Baseball.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Or insist on Comiskey Park instead. Either way, I'm sure both Chicago teams are praying that their city doesn't get the Olympics.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Manny question.

he's going to sign somewhere this off-season. hopefully not for more than he would have made in Boston. and i doubt any team would trust him for 4 years. i wonder if teams will collectively show the same restraint they did with Bonds (i mean i'm sure someone will sign Manny, but hopefully not reward him so much for what he pulled). though you could argue any team stupid enough to do it, deserves what they get.
anyways, my question is, could his old agent sue him for lost profits? Manny changed to Boras recently and one of the beliefs is Boras urged him to do what he did because Boras wouldn't get anything for another 2 years if he didn't. if Manny's old agent got paid per year, then he's out the commision of 2 years worth of $20 million in salary. if he got paid everything upfront, i guess he wouldn't care.

LewB

Screenwriter
MUST CONTROL FIST OF DEATH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been looking to go on a Manny rant, thanks Eric.
I've always respected Manny for his ability and hated him for his attitude. What he did in Boston should have been dealt with by MLB as if he were no better than Pete Rose betting on games.
Manny tanked it, he stood up in the 9th in Yankee Stadium and never took the bat off his shoulder, he faked knee problems and became a general PITA. Manny attempted to influence the outcome of games with his actions, he should be banned for life.
I give the players on the Sox all the credit in the world for voting Manny off the island. Too bad they didn't throw him under the team bus (literally).
As for what the agents get, I'll take a stab at it and bet that his old agent gets to keep whatever he earned, they are lawyers after all.
I also have no love for Boras, who's latest gift to the Yanks was the A-Rod 'opt out'. In Manny's case, his signature is on a contract and Boras gave Manny a plan to get out from under it by tanking, he should be considered an accessory, if not a tool!
Thanks, I feel better now :crazy:

EricW

Senior HTF Member
what will make this a very interesting negotiation, that charters into new territory, is that Manny has already shown his willingness to completely shutdown when he's not happy. i don't think there's a clause you can put into a contract to protect against that
and you can't low-ball him in money figures (or at least what he perceives as low-balling), because then he won't be happy

and what happens when he's legitimately slumping? or if he's legitimately aching and it's not medically showing?

say what you will about Bonds, but at least he never intentionally hurt his team on the field.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

That sounds like the overtime rules they use in college football. Some people actually like them. (I don't.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I HATE the overtime rules in the NFL. I am absolutely aghast that anyone thinks THEY are a good idea!

First team that scores? Games decided by a coin flip? Crazy.

The NFL should go back to an overtime period of a definitive amount of time. Then...have a tie if you want. If you don't want...have 'em play ANOTHER definitive period of time. But you gotta give both team's a chance with the ball.

===============

I joked to my son that there'll be no Olympics baseball being watched at our house. He asked why. I told him 1.) the obvious answer is that there are MLB games being played everyday, and 2.) these overtime rules (and explained them). He just nodded in disbelief and said, "no problem." :laugh:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
An annoying weekend for Red Sox Nation. For some strange reason, the Red Sox just can't beat the Blue Jays, especially at home.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
ESPN is reporting the Padres have traded Greg Maddux to the Dodgers. No word on what SD gets in return.

Agreed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If I was a football fan, I wouldn't be a football fan (because of those dumb rules). :laugh:

I really cannot believe they use them. They fly in the face of any sense of fairness and propriety.

=======================

It's gonna be interesting to see what the Dodgers can do over the last five weeks or so of the season. Is Nomar coming back this year? Or is he done?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This, on the other hand, continues to make NO sense to me. :frowning:

How do these two concepts co-exist rationally?

To me it reads like, we're rushing to put this thing in place as fast as we possibly can...but not before we carefully make sure that it will work perfectly (in an imperfect situation, mind you).

Why rush it before the end of the season? I cannot imagine implementing such a drastic change to the game during a season. ...let alone implement such a drastic change at all.

I refuse to believe this has been completely thought out or that it will be any good for the game. It will, instead, hurt the game.

Once the technology is introduced and available, it's mere presence will alter the way umpires handle such calls by forcing them to use it...probably even when not necessary. Because if they don't...and the call is wrong...

That, and for a ton of other reasons...they should forget it...and get the umpires a better eyeglasses prescription insurance plan.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Nationals are pathetic, they are one the worst team I can remember in my lifetime. They are worse than their record suggests.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Your comment must have lit a fire under the Nats, Philip. Today, they scored 13 runs in a win against the Cubs, the team with the best record in the NL.

:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks