What's new

2006 MLB Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
US Cellular field aka New Comisky aka The Joan still sucks. Everytime I go I feel like I'm at the WWE. "Time to cheer." "Make some noise." "We're playing loud music now to drown out the boos for Anderson." "Watch us drive Chevy Trucks onto the field twice or more." Ugh.

Hilly almost went for the cycle tonight needing only a triple and former Sox prospect Murton got a standing "O" on Thurs after HR and RBI hit, before the Cubs imploded. Those new Wrigley seats appear designed by the old timer architects. It definitely looks like they can't see both outfield corners and centerfield segments.

Nice to see Papelbon and Schilling going strong. Sure wish Papelbon was also going 8 innings every five days. Theo, please trade/demote Clement, lose Rudy, and sign Roger and/or bring up Hansen/Manny2. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I know its only been one start, but he may need to act soon if Wells doesn't get himself righted. [Insert weight joke here]. For some reason I've got more faith in Clement turning things around this year than I do in Wells.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Wells just went on the DL again. He had a lubricant injection in his knee yeasterday (similar to what Foulke had this spring). They called up a kid from Pawtucket.

There is also a big rumor circulating that the Marlins are dangling Dontrelle Willis in a possible trade. Supposedly the Sox already put a package together that included young lefty fireballer Jon Lester, 2nd baseman Dustin Pedroia, and one of there young outfielders. A lot of people in Boston do not want this deal to happen but I would be ALL over it. Willis is young....under contract for a couple more years (cheep) and is what people think Lester MIGHT become ina best case senario. I would hate to also lose Pedroia as I think he will be very good but I still make the trade. In 2 years the Rotation would be Beckett,Willis and Papelbon.....not too shabby.

A lot of people are getting down on Clement too much I think. Remember.....he is a #5 starter.....name a better #5 in the league right now?? Yes he is too expensive to be a #5....but who really cares?? I am very impressed with Boston so far......7-3 without our leadoff hitter and with Manny being nonexhistent. wait till' Manny heats up.......

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Wasn't today. 1-for-4 with two strikeouts.

But, fortunately...he's one guy you never have to worry about. That just means to get his average up to where it always is...he's gonna be goin' on a real tear soon! :D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Not a mets fan, but damn you have to respect that 3-4-5. Their hitters are on fire! Between Beltran, Delgado, Wright.. I don't know if they could keep this level of play up for a season, but it's interesting to watch.

Meanwhile, here in Kansas City.. Arena Football is now significantly outdrawing Royal's baseball.

Baseball in small markets is dead. I know we passed an "upgrade" tax, but with our walmart owners, we'd be better off if this team moved to Vegas and keeped the monicker "Royals" just changed slightly to represent a Royal Flush ;)

Because to quote our local alternative paper "The Pitch" This team does nothing but flush our hopes down the toilet every year.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If I lived in KC, I'd LOVE to go see the Royals play.

1.) It's baseball.
2.) They still play AL teams like the Yankees and Red Sox. So you get to see talent. (and the Royals have a number of good players of their own--Sanders, Graffanino, Sweeney, Mientkiewicz, Grodz, Groodz, Grids, you-know-who! :D).
3.) It's not like the Royals lose 100 games a season.
4.) It's not Arena Football.
5.) Did I mention it's baseball?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yep, 4-hitter with me in the house soaking it up. I'm always paranoid about watching players on my fantasy team since they never seem to perform while I'm watching, but Smoltzie had it going on tonight.

He wasn't dominating, didn't have a ton of K's and Andruw saved his butt at least 3 times including one screaming liner to left center I didn't think there was anyway anybody could get to it, and of course Andruw tracked it down. Langerhans and Francoeur also had nice catches down the line. Smoltz did a great job of using his defense.

Francoeur had an RBI single tonight too.

We had my son's birthday party today too and didn't get to the stadium in time for him to go on the field. Once he had a hot dog and snow cone in hand he didn't really care :D .

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
You forgot to mention "It's cheap" to go to the games. They have some budget tickets as low as $7. Our minor league games cost more than that!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aw, man! I'd SO be there! :emoji_thumbsup:

The closest major league baseball near me is NYC or Boston. Both are about three-hour-plus drives. Not too bad...but you gotta plan things out.

RobLe

Stunt Coordinator
Pujols had three homeruns today against the Reds, including a walk-off. The best player in baseball.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Braves blew a good pitching performance from John Thompson this afternoon dropping a game to the Padres 4-3. I must be in a football mood, as I almost put Chargers.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

To me he is the best regular season baseball player right now........

If I had the choice between him and David Ortiz though.......Give me Ortiz. Ortiz is not only a great regular season player.....but name me a better big game hitter than Ortiz in the last 25 years?? As phenominal as he is (Pujols).......he folds in pressure situations. He hit that one bomb against Houston to force a game 7 but other than that he has been non-exhistent in big games........and St. Louis has had a lot the last few years. Until he gets the job done in the post-season which I am sure he will at some point....I would still take Ortiz. Some people think A-Rod is the best player......If you ask me a truly great player is what he does for his team....... A-Rod has done nothing to help his teams. Seattle was better when he left....Texas got better when he left and NY did not get any better in the last 2 years. I would take Ortiz, Pujols, Jeter, Texeira, Manny and even Guerrero before I would take A-Rod believe it or not.........

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tried to post this all day yesterday...but came up short due to the server crash. But I'm still feeling the afterglow...so it's okay. :D

There's nothing better to put a smile on your face than a walk-off homerun by Mark loretta on Patriot's Day! Especially after Fast Eddie Guardado strikes out the first two batters in the bottom of the ninth and Youk hustles down the line to beat out an infield hit in a one-run game! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I got to go to that game yesterday. :)

I was in right field and had a good view of Ichiro going up the wall to take Ortiz's third homer of the day away. It's about five feet from first base to the Red Sox dugout, but Ortiz took it slow, giving Ichiro one heck of an angry stare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks