What's new

MLB 2011 Regular Season (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Derek Lowe was a fine pitcher when he was in Boston. His talent and performance had nothing to do with him not being signed, it had everything to do with his off-field antics. With both of us living on the South Shore and visiting some of the same establishments, I was an eye withness to some of those antics. Let's just say the man liked his leisure time. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Robert,
I've been a Red Sox fan since 1967. When Teixeira hit the grand slam last night, I clapped and yelled loudly enough that it was probably heard in the Bronx. My wife thought something was wrong -- LOL.
I've never wanted to see M. Rivera as much as I did last night in the bottom of the ninth inning. Oh well.
How do you think the Yankees will do against the Tigers? I think this is Detroit's year. They've been playing some great ball lately.

That was the year that began my intense dislike of the Red Sox. There was no Red Sox Nation back then, but it was the start along with Yaz Bread and them playing against my baseball idol, Bob Gibson in the WS sealed their fate as an enemy of mine for life. Of course, the intense rivalry between the Yanks and Red Sox in the 70s didn't help either.

As far as the Yankees versus the Tigers, it's a crap shoot as most of those short series are and the team that gets the best pitching will most likely win.

Looks like Francona is leaving the Red Sox which appears to be a mutual decision. Francona is a good man as well as a fine manager. I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere. However, I'm not so sure his leaving is good for the Red Sox.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will pull for Milwaukee and Tampa this year. Yes, it would hose the MLB ratings for the WS, but it'd be good for two small market teams to make it, which would put pressure on other small markets to do something.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robert I cant disagree with any of that except for the part were you said Francona is a fine manager. I think he is a guy who without great team that also plays great he becomes a mediocre manager. He does nothing to make a good team great. He was probably the right place at the right time, not unlike Charlie Manual in Philly. We saw him for four years with bad players do nothing to make that team better with his managing skills. This year when his players didn't achieve to expectations he sure didn't do anything to make them better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TonyD

Robert I cant disagree with any of that except for the part were you said Francona is a fine manager.
I think he is a guy who without great team that also plays great he becomes a mediocre manager.
He does nothing to make a good team great.
He was probably the right place at the right time, not unlike Charlie Manual in Philly.
We saw him for four years with bad players do nothing to make that team better with his managing skills.
This year when his players didn't achieve to expectations he sure didn't do anything to make them better.

I said he was a fine manager, not a great one which are managers that make a team great. Those guys are few and far between. I'm not sure there is one of those in MLB now.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
He was good anough to completely out manage Joe Torre in 2004. From batting order, to field management, to baserunning, to (especially) bullpen use, Francona outdid Torre, which is not an easy task. The last 4 games of that series, Francona had to be perfect, and he was.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Since his team won 2 series in four years I don't blame any of you guys for defending him. Torre didn't show very much as a manager the last few years when he was in L.A. Charlie Manual outcoached him on two series in the playoffs. I think he quit and got out of dodge because he knows he was about to overstay his welcome and was exposed as the mediocre manager that he is.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TonyD

Since his team won 2 series in four years I don't blame any of you guys for defending him.
Torre didn't show very much as a manager the last few years when he was in L.A.
Charlie Manual outcoached him on two series in the playoffs.
I think he quit and got out of dodge because he knows he was about to overstay his welcome and was exposed as the mediocre manager that he is.

So now he's a mediocre manager. I guess that's not surprising coming from a Phillies fan with him being their former manager.

Crawdaddy

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Well, Torre was able to co-exist with Steinbrenner, which was really something, considering how not many other managers were able to do.

Also, yesterday was bad day in Philly sports!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I don't know if there is a MLB playoff thread. If you want to see a squirrel steal home look at:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111005&content_id=25511116&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

There are on that page 3 other videos. For laughs, read the comments.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I'm half way there with regard to my predictions. If my NLDS predictions hold up, it will be the first time I've gotten all four correct in the first round. I've been wondering if Sabathia will opt out and pitch elsewhere. I'm also curious what happens to the Phillies roster should they lose tonight. I think they will pull it out, but the expectations of that team are not unlike those of the BoSox, who didn't fare too well in this year's post-season. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
My goodness. Could we be heading for a repeat of 1968? I would love a similar result. Of course, Doug Fister (and not Justin Verlander) would be the pitching hero in such a scenario. ;) Go Tigers!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I guess I might as well throw my hat into the Ranger's dugout. :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Actually, I was just goofing using Sterling's line as I passionately hate both John and Suzyn as the Yankees radio team. I preferred the latter when she cover the Yankees for WFAN and the former, when he hosted a sports radio show on WMCA.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, was a bitter night for Yankee fans, but Phillies fans have to feel worse since they were by far, the favorites to win it all with their great starting staff. None of the high payroll teams will be in the WS discussion this year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Well..you can take solace that things were worse when John was teamed with Charlie Steiner.

The solace is I don't have to listen to him very much except he's on YES programming a little too much for me. The guy is a clown with his "Yankees win" crap and most Yankee fans I know feel the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks