What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2006 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

James@R

Second Unit

This is what I find odd. One film had religious groups urging everyone to see it, while the other has them urging a boycott. Just because both films feature Jesus doesn't mean they're going to attract similar crowds. :D

I can understand the built-in fanbase insuring a healthy box office, but not the seeming lack of common sense surrounding the religious demographic. I've encountered far more people upset over DaVinci than people who were personally offended by anything Tom Cruise had to say.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I've read that the first time the press will get the see the complete version of di Vinci Code is at the world premiere this coming Wednesday--at least according to what I read in USA Today on Friday. So who knows what the reviews will be. :confused:

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

Which is funny cause they are both just stories from books.

For me, I waited till POTC was cable, but I will pay to see DC in theaters.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian

Wow.

That was incredibly dismissive of one of the world's largest religions. Last I checked, people didn't spend a large portion of their lives pondering the significance and mystery of Dan Brown's writing.

Personally, I've not seen any hype at all around the DaVinci Code's release. I wouldn't be surprised if it opens a lot softer than industry expectations.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's ease up on the religious talk, no need for followups on the topic. None of it is really appropriate here in this thread or forum.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I disagree. This flick has a built in audience of the 40+ million people that bought the book and then all the other people out there like me who haven't read it, but are interested in seeing the movie anyway. Plus, next to that crazy dude named Cruise, Tom Hanks is probably the biggest movie star we have right now so that can only help the box office. I wouldn't be surprised at all if The Da Vinci Code makes over $250-300 million.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think $50-60M. Brent, I read the book and have no interest in the movie :) So where do I fit in the equation. I think it'll make $200M+. It'll do The Firm business, updated for inflation. It won't draw the biggest summer crowd...the teens. Thinking it'll approach POTC is somewhat laughable to me. No chance.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Just to add my 2 cents.

My parents normally do not go to the theater, but both have read the book and can't wait to see it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I read the Davinci Code whick I thought was inferior to the first book in the series, Angels And Demons.

I too have little interest in the film. I'll see it, but Tom Hanks is 100% WRONG for the role imo, so I'll get around to it eventually. It will do well, but I Doubt it will pass $200 million.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
"The Da Vinci Code" will do very well no doubt but I bet the film to have the BIGGEST Opening Weekend this summer will either go to "X-Men: The Last Stand" next weekend or "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" in July.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez

I agree. Angels and Demons (or as I call it, The Bernini Code) has a more satisfying (although a bit too long) ending. Plus it's more violent and sexy! :)

But count me in as one who'll be watching The Da Vinci Code opening week!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Producers get the Best Picture award.

I didn't read the book but am interested in seeing the film though I may not make it to the theater. For whatever reason I've gone to the theater way less than in past years.

I did finally see Akeelah and the Bee and it's a pity this didn't do better at the BO. A crowd-pleasing (the fairly full theater clapped and cheered several times) feel-good movie with a positive message that is never cloying and isn't overly manipulative. People say they want Hollywood to make more movies like this, and then they fail to support them when they are released.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
how many people who are going to watch The Da Vinci Code DON'T know the big secret? i'm guessing alot of the people who haven't read the book know it too :P

James@R

Second Unit

It's also opening against Over The Hedge. Many adults will likely have to take their kids to this instead, which is also a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks