What's new

2004 NHL Playoffs: Round 1 (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor

I also don't get this. Unless you've signed a contract with the team and you're using an alias, it's THEY, not WE. We have NOTHING to do with it.

GARY C

Second Unit

There is no "it" without "we" (err... us).

Without the fans there is no game. No one going to pay them millions to play for nothing. So "we" is for every fan that has put in the time, money & tears supporting his/her team.

Cue beer commercial here. :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i was also thinking the same thing, and i came up with two scenarios, one more likely than the other.

1. (unlikely) bob-n is a bigot, and uncovered it just now.

2. (much more likely) bob-n was a bit more pure than the rest of us, and he didnt see the racial tone in the 'gorilla' sign.

if the fan who made the sign called iginla a gorilla because it is big and dumb, that's fine. if he chose the gorilla for specific reasons over other big and dumb animals, i'd say it is in incredibly poor taste. i'm not fan of iginla (other than his talent) but that kind of behavior has no place in any sport at any level. i'm all for calling him anything you want, but just dont stoop to that level.

CJ

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Jeez, guys, chill out. The sign of Iginla was a dog too, just like the Ricci sign in Calgary.

Like Philip said, "It was just a flash and I didn't get to see the whole picture and hope that I saw it wrong..." He did get it wrong, so let's get back to talking about hockey...

Rob

chris rick

Second Unit
ughh..the Flyers look hideous right now. You can really see that they are tired, and Tampa's lucky streak with injuries just continues. I think this series might be over, and yet again I must say that the level of play in this series has just been terrible--when will both teams actually play a good game against each other for 60 minutes!

chris rick

Second Unit
ugghh now Tampa looks terrible--if they keep taking dumb penalties and playing in their own zone they are gonna end up losing this game. What is up with this series--does anyone wanna actually show up for a whole game? Neither of these teams will beat Calgary or San Jose if they keep playing the way they are now! (Despite my earlier musings!)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well as weak as Tampa played, they took a victory over the Flyers. The Flyers didn't give up though. I have to give them alot of credit for their effort from the 2nd period on.

Still yes I might agree that if they keep playing like this, then I doubt they will beat Calgary but the Calgary series seems odd too. Neither team can win at home!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I like the home ice disadvantage thing. Here's hoping a home team can break through in this series and win the thing.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Tampa Bay swarmed the Flyers for almost half of the game. It really looked like Philly just couldn't keep up with the much faster Lightning. Once TB got the 3 goal cushion they really let things slide and Philly took advantage of it but couldn't dig themselves out of an already very large hole.

Andreychuk took some bad penalties tonight but he seemed to really get into Primeau's head.

Bring on game 6!

chris rick

Second Unit
Micheal...get a clue please. What game were you watching? To say that Tampa played well would be a gross overstatement--Khabibulin won the game for them. Kudos to him for bailing out his team, but the Flyers dominated from the second period on. I'm not bitching about the game--but be realistic. Tampa cannot continue to play this way and think they will win the Stanley Cup. I'm sure even Tortorella would feel that way.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
chris rick, I'm going to go back to what you said earlier this week about dirty play. Dave Andreychuk took a couple stupid, needless penalties, but the Flyers were allowed to board, hook and crosscheck and get away with it, even when the referee was looking right at them. Some blows to the head of St. Louis, and boarding Sarich. I'm sure some of what I'm talking about wasn't shown on TV, because it wasn't necessarily near the puck.

No team plays a perfectly clean game, but comparing to the Lightning and Flyers in the 2 games I have been at so far in this series, Philadelphia should have many more PIM. The Lightning got called for nearly every infraction they committed tonight. Not even close to the case with the Flyers.

Now that my rant is over, I agree with you about the poor play. It'd be nice ifany one team could put together a full 60 minutes. I think it's asking too much for both teams to play a full 60.

The Lightning had a great first 30 minutes and last 10 minutes or so, though I would have liked them to push the puck up the ice a little more in the latter half of the third period. They played good enough for most of the other 20, except for about 100 seconds when they gave up the two goals.

That first goal was the benefit of a lost stick. Andre Roy lost his stick and went to retrieve it. This allowed the man he was on to get away from him with the puck and get into the Lightning zone, setting up the goal. Then, the momentum swing from the first goal led to the second.

Lightning are 11-0 in the playoffs this year when they score 3 or more goals. Here's hoping for 3+ goals in game 6.

I've been home for 90 minutes and I'm still waiting for highlights from the game.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Excuse me? I thought that Philly was the only true competition out there?:D The way you put it before the series they had the cup won. Anyone who knows hockey will tell you that it's not always pretty but this isn't ballet is it. ;)

P.S. I loved the way that Andreychuk dominated Primeau in the faceoff circle last night. Of course... you would probably just sum it up to luck. That and his 3 assists. :rolleyes

Evan Case

Screenwriter
That was probably the first overall even game of the series, but it was so only as a perfect microcosm of the Eastern Conf Finals thus far: domination of the first half (ie Game 1 & 3) by TB, domination of the latter portions by Philly (ie Games 2 & 4).

Special teams and Khabibulin were the tale of this game, the former giving Tampa the huge lead, the latter protecting it from an onslaught that I could not believe was denied a 3rd period goal.

Now, I know Tampa can win the next one (as a Flyer fan I obviously hope not), but does anyone really expect, with the way this up-and-down series has gone, that we're headed for anything less than a Game 7 showdown? It just seems like that's what this matchup is destined for.

And hopefully by then we'll finally have a game where both teams are actually ready to play the whole way through. (OT, anyone? :))

Evan

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
P.S. to chris rick, Tampa Bay outshot the Flyers 18-8 in the first period alone and walked away with a 1 to 0 lead. They continued to score 2 more goals in the early part of the second period.(By around the 28 minute mark they had a 3-0 lead) How exactly is that not swarming Philly for half the game? I really wonder if you even watch these games. :rolleyes

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Before this gets uglier than it needs to, lets quit the bickering and move on.

Don't even bother responding to each other. Just move on. The Series is 3-2 and we'll play another game to find out if we go 7(highly possible). I did think the officiating was poor and not even but you win some you lose some and you can't let it affect you.

chris rick

Second Unit
Michael, remind me again how Tampa scored its three goals before the empty netter? They were average at even strength, in fact unless I'm missing something the Flyers outscored them 2-0 at even strength. 5 on 5 this team hasn't done shit against the Flyers, but the Flyers penalty killing has been herrendous and has pretty much lost them the lead in this series so far. The only reason Tampa is up in this series is because the Flyers have failed to score on power plays, their power play was the best all season (yeah I know they finished second by the end of the season by percentage points) and was the best in the playoffs before this series.

Special teams have killed them in this series, not Tampa's "swarming"--MY god you obviously have blinders on if you think that either team has outswarmed the other for a whole game in this series. I have stated (and even one person who roots for the Bolts agrees here) that this series has been terrible to watch. Both teams dominate for stretches, but neither really is playing a full 60 minutes. Again, I ask you, how did Tampa score their goals in game 5...pretty much the way they've scored most of their goals in this series.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
chris rick, please! I said that TB outplayed Philly for HALF of the game. I never said that they outplayed them the entire game. Just half. Apparently even that is too much to ask of such a biased fan like yourself. BTW, others have already agreed with me that TB played a great 30 minutes.

Like or not special teams is part of the game. It's not Tampa Bay's fault that their PP unit is too much for Philly's terrible PK unit.
:rolleyes:

I'm not even a TB fan, just a fan of the game.

I just knew that you would have a ton of excuses once your beloved Flyers started to falter. Try being a gracious loser.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Sorry to be so harsh but chris rick has been nothing but insulting to anyone with a different opinion other than his own throughout this entire thread. I guess everyone else is always wrong and he is always right. (Even though he stated that TB never had a prayer against his mighty Flyers.)

So you were wrong... big deal!
No matter who wins this series TB has proven that they are no fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks