2004 NHL Playoffs: Round 1

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Markus Lidstrom, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Yeah, it's now clear who the favored teams are of the 2 series, but you never disount the underdog.

How did TB get that fast? A guy I work with argued with me that the last 2 TB goals were offside. I know the breakaway goal wasn't offside, and I didn't really pay attention to the 4th goal's replay, I was too busy kicking stuff... [​IMG]

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Neither of them were offsides. Martin St. Louis' pass to Vinny was close to being a two-line pass, but he had enough skate on the red line to be onside. The fourth goal wasn't nearly as close as Vinny was.

But every team has fans like the guy you work with, who will convince themselves of a minute detail that affected the outcome of the game, whether they want it to our not.

You're kidding, right? I'm a Lightning fan and even I wouldn't make this statement. Or are you trying to get into the heads of my Bolts with that statement. [​IMG]

Honestly, until last night, I thought the clear favorite to win the whole thing was Calgary. Now, I can't even guess who will win each conference final.

Go Bolts!!!

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Hmmm, perhaps you can read through the babble... Who is the clear favorite of each series? Who knows!

I usually watch the West game, but I really didn't want to keep my mind on hockey at all after the first game, so I watched the prologue to FOTR for my buddies that were over. Was NHL2Night on last night? My Tivo didn't record it, so I'm a bit confused by it. I was looking forward to seeing highlights of the Western game, and hearing how bad my Flyers played by Melrose.

4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    The time has come for Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals. You'll get no prediction out of me on this one.

Based on what I saw during the pre-game, I think I'm going to like this high-def hockey on ABC.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Well the Flyers started out with a rush and put it on the Bolts but they just couldn't get any shots and what they got sucked and were blocked. Then a powerplay then bam a goal for Tampa.

This is going to be a great game.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Well the Flyers responded with 2 goals back to back. Again this is going to be a great game.

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    The Lightning seem to have trouble making accurate passes. They had some great setups but couldn't get the passes there. Need to improve that if they want to win this series.

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

This one is going 7 games. Go Flyers!

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    that last goal by lecavalier was an absolute rocket, i'm impressed, i didnt know he could shoot like that.

CJ

10. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Neither did I, but it's a good sign, hopefully, for Game 5. Man, that was a game of lost chances. Now I know how the Flyers felt after Game 1.

11. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Joe, you are right it was a game of lost chances. Tampa got some hideous power plays off of terrible calls, and that is where most of their scoring chances came from. They were terrible in this game, and one thing that is really bothering me so far in this series is that both teams have failed to put any consistent play together--I thought this was gonna be a great series and so far as a fan I think it has been really flat in terms of the two teams being consistent in their play.

The NHL really does have to make some changes, of which I am not sure which ones will work (take out the red line, change rink dimensions, and the various other things that have been proposed). But most importantly, they absolutely need to rethink the officiating in this league. I am SO sick of watching the crap go on every series where star players are given special treatment on obvious penalties. I cannot even begin to count the number of times St. Louis left his feet yesterday to hit someone, and I distinctly remember him hooking a Flyer right around the neck while the Ref just stood by and watched. It was the same thing last series where Sundin got away with murder. The NHL, in an effort to gain more fans, tries to leave star players on the ice as much as possible, and they let them get away with a lot of things normal players wouldn't be allowed to get away with. Look at the power play chances yesterday, the final tally if I remember correctly was something like 8-4 in favor of Tampa. I've seen it game in and game out with all teams--it is like the officials call the littlest things to try and make the score closer. The game is in such bad shape financially that they have to make games even by calling penalties that never should be called in a playoff series. Obviously some things are blatant penalties like when Simon Gagne slashed a Tampa player in the face and he bled, but others--COME ON! This is a sad thing, truly. It is the playoffs, let them play for chrissakes!

But it's not just star players--Pitkannen is now hurt again because of a blatant charge by a Tampa player. Last time I checked you were not allowed to leave your feet to hit a player. The NHL really does need to reevaluate its current condition, and maybe the impending lockout isn't such a bad thing with that in mind.

12. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Hmmm, interesting, no discussion on Sharks/Flames game. Ok, I'll start. Great game from the guys we count on...Damphousse, Marleau/fill in the blank line and the Ricci line. Looks like the Flames are out of gas and/or controlled emotion. They came out fast for the first few minutes then started taking bad penalties after they couldn't score on their first two power plays. Their PP looks terrible. On the other hand, Sharks finally got their PP going...at least for this game. Lots of scrums which not a lot of calls going our way early. See that cross check into the boards on Rathje in the first? Clearly a penalty not called. Fortunately, the refs pulled their head out and started calling stuff.

Looking forward to Monday's game. The Tank will be rockin' after taking two games in Calgary to even up the series. I'll be there!

Bob

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    chris, I agree with you about the inconsistent play and questionable officiating.

But it's really not fair of you to focus just on what Tampa Bay players are getting away with. The Flyers got away with several instances of charging, hooking, slashing, cross-checking, elbowing, tripping and high-sticking too. If you ask me, some of the penalties the refs did call were jokes, but there were plenty of rule breakages (by both teams) that were not called that were way more severe than anything that was called.

From what I've been told by several neutral (in respect to this particular matchup) fans of the game, the Flyers usually tend to get more leeway in what they get away with because of their Broad Street Bullies reputation from way back in the day. I haven't seen enough Flyers games in my life to pass jusdgement like that myself, but that's what I've been told.

14. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

The nba has dominated my life recently, so I haven't been paying too much attention to either series. I saw the game today, or parts of it anyway, and it would seem that which ever home team can win first will take the series, I've never heard of road ice advantage before.

15. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Well, it looks like the Flames weren't out of gas last night.
    Iginla's short handed goal really hurt the Shark's. The Shark's hit a post or two but just couldn't get a lucky bounce. Although the flames hit the crossbar as well...

I really wonder if anyone is going to win at home in this series. Maybe Calgary can finish it off in front of the home town fans...[​IMG]

Final score: 3 - 0

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

GO FLAMES GO!

17. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

What is with the home teams in this Flames/Sharks series? Can anyone win at home?
    This is a bit off topic, but did anyone notice the fan last night holding a picture of what appeared to be a gorilla or monkey with Jarome Iginla's name at the bottom? It was just a flash and I didn't get to see the whole picture and hope that I saw it wrong but if thats what it was, it was in very poor taste. [​IMG]

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

This could open up an all-new strategy in future years for these teams. They could intentionally lose games late in the season in order to avoid earning the home ice "disadvantage" for the playoffs. [​IMG]

19. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Ok, one at a time:

Yes, after the shorty and a bit before that, we looked like the ones that were out of gas. There were too many irrecoverable mistakes which lead to their first two goals. Doofus McClaren gave up on the play on the second goal when he couldn't keep the puck in the zone. We were out of it for the whole game. It was a horrible thing to watch in person....almost painful.

I really don't know what to expect now. I thought we might be able to break the home disadvantage using the momentum of the last two games. Obviously didn't happen. I guess we'll hope for the best tomorrow and if it doesn't happen, it's been a great season regardless of the outcome.

20. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Not even close. Maybe I should have clarified. The impression I got from the Iginla photo was a racial slur, Iginala, a black athelete being compared to a gorilla. WAY over the line as Paul mentioned as well. However, I am not painting all Sharks fans that way. That would be as ignorant as that photo.