What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2 new "Hornblower" movies coming on A&E (1 Viewer)

SarahG

Second Unit
I plan on watching both of these...HH is great. I have even heard some say better than Master and Commander.

Did you read the USA Today review:

Review

Its pretty good..4 stars!

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my gosh I almost forgot about tonight!!! YES, I love Horatio Hornblower!!!! Thank you soo much. You know these films have recieved 4 out of 4 stars from USA Today? Hard to do...

James Pfann

Stunt Coordinator
Well I enjoyed that.

Not to sure about the wife though, and from the look on his face neither is he. Good to see Mr Bush is his usual charming self.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Anyone else watch last night??? This was my first Horatio experience...mainly due to all of the positive stuff I've been hearing about it recently.

All in all, I'm quite impressed. Ioan makes a great lead, good dialogue and it kept my attention, which is more than what I can say about most epics...

The next part of the series airs tonight, right?

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Horatio was great, as usual! My wife and I have been fans of this series for years and have them all on DVD. Can't wait to get this new set (with extras) and the next set of movies.

I just wish A&E would put up pictures we fans can use as desktop wallpapers!;)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I guess commercials may vary from region to region, but I was kind of astonished to see Trevor Goddard's old Hoover commercial used in the middle of A&E's new Hornblower episode. Don't most commercials get retired after the "star" dies?

SarahG

Second Unit
I really liked watching these...Jim, if you have been watching for so long...what did you think about Horatio getting married at the end???

also..where did you get the DVDs and do you know when the 2 new movies are going to be coming out?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Loved the episodes. In some respects it's got a feel similar to an earlier series dealing with the career exploits of Richard Sharpe, only on water instead of land.

SarahG

Second Unit
Is that the series with Sean Bean..I have never seen it..so how do you mean, what exactly is the comparison to Horatio???

SarahG

Second Unit
BTW..wanted to add some bit of ratings that I found...thougth people might find them interesting:

Have to say I did take it from someone else::

"It was a ratings success, i think it took anywhere between 8- 12 million viewers an episode, and the highest rated shows take around 12-14m an episode. "

But looks like it did pretty well to me.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Is that the series with Sean Bean..I have never seen it..so how do you mean, what exactly is the comparison to Horatio???
Yes. Richard Sharpe (Bean) is a Sergeant in the British army fighting the French in the Peninsular Wars. He saves the life of Sir Arthur Wellesley (who is shortly to become the Duke of Wellington), and is rewarded with a commission as a Lieutenant. The series deals with his exploits and command promotions from Portugal to Waterloo. I especially liked Brian Cox in playing Wellesley's Engineer/Intelligence officer.

Both Sharpe and Hornblower start from low rank and progress upward during the tumultuous Napoleonic 1808-1815 period. Plus each has high ranking mentors, Wellington and Sir Edward Pellew

SarahG

Second Unit
OH great...and thanks. Perhaps I will see if Netflix has those and netflix them...

Beside Horatio being on sea not land...how do you compare the two?

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Overall, I was really impressed with the two that I saw. What was even more impressive is how each installment stands alone, in a sense. I mean, I missed the first several installments, but I still understood and enjoyed the last few that I saw.

I'd be interested in buying the box set and seeing how Horatio grows throughout the whole thing.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Sharpe definitely has the better taste in women.
Amen to that! It has been so long since I saw the Sharpe episodes but I think I would give the nod to them over Hornblower. It's close though, I like Hornblower. There were 14 stories in the 5 or so Sharpe seasons. I don't think Masterpiece Theater ran them all here in the USA. I especially enjoyed Pete Postlethwaite in the Sharpe's Enemy episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks