What's new

15x13x8 room, dual tempest overkill? (1 Viewer)

Brad Dixon

Stunt Coordinator
Well if work slows down this week I'll be ordering an amp and sub. I've got the sonotube and mdf already. I realise this is a somewhat personal/loaded question but, any opinions would be helpfull.

Room size is 15x13x8 with a 7' opening(on 13' wall) going into dining area. Also has a 3' opening to hallway on 15' wall leading to rest of house. The sub would be placed in a corner as that is only place to put it.

Purpose of sub will be HT primarily very little music other than an occasional family get together. Given that even though EBS for single is 340L, a ~533L tube(gross) with dual tempest should vibrate and break things.

Given the room size though I'm just wondering before I order the components if it will be a marked and noticable difference compared to the single? I'm sure the single must come close to breaking things as I don't recall seeing a post stating it was anything but awsome.

Since I want to feel the movie I'm pretty sure the dual is the way to go but I wanted to ask since the room is pretty small.

Amps I'm looking at are amp350 or ava250 for plate amps or qsc850(if dual route). Haven't made up my mind on that yet.

Thanks,

Brad

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
When I went from a single sealed Tempest to a twin sealed Tempest, the difference was very noticeable. The twin Tempest, best as I can describe it, is effortless. No strain or semblence of distortion. Really clean. I have a larger room to fill, but I'm sure you wouldn't be dissappointed:).
Pete

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Doing a similar setup for my girlfriend, but my choice was to go with two Blueprint 1203's, with much smaller ported boxes- about 80L. The TEMPESTs are very nice though (I've got a few on the shelf, trying to decide what to do with them). They don't need EQ, they're a nice tradeoff of efficiency/excursion. But, for a smaller room, she wanted the smallest size boxes that would play well on music and HT.

The extra output capability of two means that most of the time you should be running well below Xmax, and with less distortion, of course.

Have fun putting your new subs together!

Regards,

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks