What's new

$1000 watch-help me choose (1 Viewer)

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Someone wants to get me a watch for a special occassion, The limit is 1000 but closer to 750 would be better. I like modern (vs. vintage types) but was looking for something unique as opposed to Tag Heur which a lot of people have. Any suggestions?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Can you advise that "someone" to purchase something home theater-related as opposed to a watch? With a thousand big ones you could get an all-in-one machine that plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, and regular ol' CD.

Or you could get a digital settop box.

I don't understand this watch thing. Makes no sense.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
And somebody buying 100's if not thousands of DVD's does? :) (BTW, that's what my wife says to me.)
Anyway, Brett. Yes Tag's are pretty common now but are pretty well indestructable watches. I've had mine since 1991 and the face is completely void of any marks. I've worn it all over the world constantly and it still looks great and takes a big beating. All I've had to do is change the battery once.
Another brand is Omega. Especially the Seamaster's. Very nice.
Patrick

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
My vote would go for the Omega Constellation. I've had mine for 5 years now and can't be happier. It's classy, yet fairly modern so it goes well with anything. It loooks just fine with a suit or jeans. The Seamaster is nice, but a bit too sporty for my tastes.

One thing you should know about high end watches is you can haggle about price. I saved about 150 off the price this way (Alpha Omega in Boston). It was listed for 20% off and I mentioned I could get it for 30% off plus no tax online. Would they match? They said the best they could do was 20% off and they'd eat the tax. I countered with 25% off and they eat the tax and I'd buy it, to which they agreed.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I think it's used more like jewelry than for the watch function. I'm with you though, for me a watch like that is a waste of money.
My wife would like me to get something nice to go with my suit though, for some reason she doesn't feel like my Casio G-shock matches it... and even though I bought a fake Rolex for $10 to weasr with the suit, she seems to want me to get a nicer watch. :D
I'd get a Bvlgari watch, just because I think they have a cool name and sleek designs. This seems to be their cheapest one though and it's $1100, at least at http://www.e-luxury.com: Link Removed
Maybe there are others less expensive elsewhere.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brett, Tag Heuer makes a nice watch. However, my vote would be to go for a Movado Museum watch. I have one, and I love it. Particularly appealing to me is the simple, classic black face with the gold, round marker at 12 o'clock. It's simple and sleek, yet very distinctive. I always know a Movado when I see one. Many have tried to copy the Movado design, but there is only one Movado. :)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
You & me both, Jack. I've never spent more than $100 on a watch and have no intention of making a fashion statement.
My current watch is a Casio touch-screen. I love it. Does it make me look like a geek? Well, sure, but I do play with supercomputers all day. No sense hiding my true self. ;)

Chris Derby

Second Unit
Well, with as many Fossils and Kenneth Cole watches that I've bought and broken and/or worn out (at $75-150 each), I could have bought a Tag or an Omega that I'd still be using.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Something I found interesting was that on all the higher-end watches with Roman numerals, the 4 is indicated with IIII instead of IV.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Keith on this one ,,, I have the classic he mentioned .
Try this

Available in Silver too
or these

Hey, I like em:)
Brent

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Rado (made by movado, I think) is pretty sweet. I really like the sleek modern styling.

FWIW I do own a Movado but have a collection of 6 Skagen's that I rotate through. I've gotten far more comments & complements on them than the Movado (which I wore daily for 3-4 years.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It's not really easy to tell the time on those with n0 markings on the face.
Or 50 Casios. Of course, you'd only need one... :) I've had mine for 5 years now and it's as solid as when I got it. I had to change the battery last year, other than that it runs as good as ever. I never take it off, except maybe to clean it a couple of times a year.
/Mike

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hey Brian, I've noticed this too as well as a lot of watches and grandfather clocks using IIII instead of IV and also using VIIII instead of IX. I don't understand why they do it, but it irritates me. It's kinds of like they are trying to look all sophisticated, but are not smart enough to correctly use Roman numerals.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have a Movado and love it. I've had it for three years and constantly get complemented on it. I used to have a million Fossils and was always having problems with them (batteries, straps, etc.). I needed a "suit" watch and got a Movado.
If I had my choice though, and the sky was the limit, I would get a Breitling. However, I think the cheapest one they make is like $1700. They go all the way to about $50,000.
www.breitling.com

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Omega Seamaster. It will be with me for life. And it's my choice to have a ~1000 dollar watch. I'll buy the HT equipment I want, too. A good watch is for life. Mine is five years old and perfect.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ah the irony of consumers of disposable media and electronics dissing buying a similarly-priced watch that could last a lifetime and even be an heirloom :rolleyes
I've never owned an expensive watch, but I really like the "kinetic" watches -- self-winding from arm motion and such. I like thought of the craftily engineered mechanism capturing the scraps of energy we toss off in our daily activities :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FFMichael
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale