What's new
World Wide Stereo

$1 per watt, good deal? (1 Viewer)

VinhT

Second Unit
Drew,
I am fully aware of the power-to-SPL relationship. However, I certainly don't mind "overbuying" when it comes to amplifiers. For example, I use a 100W amp for the front speakers in my car (from the Rotel equivalent in the car audio world). Of course, I realize that my usage does not even approach one watt on a daily basis. Even so, I still appreciate the quality and power that is available. Besides, whether for car audio or home audio, you can never have too much clean power, right? If people could afford to do so, everyone would have massive monoblocks for every channel of their home theater system. :)

Ricky,
I am in the process of purchasing new speakers. Four Ascend CBM-170s and one CMT-340c. My sub is a 25-31PC+. Haven't decided on a preamp/processor yet, but am leaning towards Rotel or a Denon receiver. My current Pioneer receiver from 2001 only has center and sub preouts. The room the equipment is going in is about 25'x15'x15' (LxWxH).

As for your Parasound amp, I was unable to find it on the Parasound website. I am not too comfortable purchasing a used product that may be so old that it has been discontinued. Is this the case here? I know Parasound is a quality brand name, but I would prefer a current model, since apparently, minor improvements are made between generations of amplifiers (old Rotel vs current Rotel).

-----
In the end, I probably should have jumped on that Rotel 1075. Definitely the cheapest price I've ever seen for one.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Sonics are still more important than sheer power. Boat loads of clean power, sure those are nice to have. But I heard an Arcam A65 which is 40W per channel powering a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s, and with the volume up around a 1/3 appoaching 1/2, the sound filled the moderate sized demo room. An el-cheapo 100W receiver would have cranked cleanly to match the SPL level of the Arcam piece, but I'm sure when you A/Bed the two, the Arcam would clearly have a better sound. I know where you're coming from with the headroom for clean amplification, and that is important, but amplifiers are not created sonically equal.

Now, you have a larger room. You're going to need some solid power and some good speakers if you want to fill that room with sound. You could always run an RSX-1055 (one model year old, probably still available for good prices used and perhaps you could find a dealer demo)...the concensus with that receiver is that its processing capabilities are almost as good as the RSP-1066 for more or less the same price. That would probably get you off on the right foot, and then you can add amps as required beyond that (perhaps for the mains once funds allow; a larger RB-1080 would be a good step up from the internal amps).

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Vinh,

I fixed the Parasound link, it's working now. My price is about $1 per watt (480 total watts for 480 total dollars, not bad for the 1200 retail, out of warranty amp). A bryston 9b-st for 600? Not likely as they are going for 2100+.

Your new Ascend speakers are 89dB sensitivity, so they need half the wattage of 86dB sensitivity speakers (ie, my NHTs). 80-100 watts for Ascend bookshelfs set to "small & 80hz" should do nicely in your room.

Not all changes to power amps improve sonics, some of them are cost savings (like any other manufacturing industry). As for buying amps with warranty, I have bought, used, and sold a few dozen used amps (yes, dozens), over 80% without warranty, and never had a problem. If anyone wants to debate the financial benefits of buying used amps dirt cheap vs new/used amps with warranty, I wish you alot of luck. If all these amps I bought had valid warranty, I would spent thousand$ more. Used amps are the best buy in audio.

Regarding Parasound models, the new designs since ~ year 2000 are under the Halo brand. There are only three "official" Parasound current models: 2205AT 220x5, 1205A 140x5, and 1000A 125x2, and these are not really more than 2-3 years newer than some of the discontinued models (like the 1206, 806).

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
I would like to add that we are at the beginning of a "paradigm" shift in amplification (i.e., the new "digital" amps.) These new receivers/amps really throw a wrinkle into the whole idea of watts per dollar. You can get the newer receivers, and soon seperate amplifiers that offer tremendous value (power vs. price) and sound very good. I've own/have owned many traditional A-A/B solid state amps, and some of the older switching amps, and would say that I have been impressed with the "lowly" panasonic receivers that use true digital amps. Keep an open mind, and you should be able to find a nice product that meets your price/performance characteristics.
JP

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

If you do that then limiting yourself to newer items (more expensive too)And newer does not mean better.

The 986Mk II has a superior design over the 1075 (AFAIK larger caps or bridge rectifiers)

I picked up some (only) 100W 2channel poweramps. In fact the company no longer exists, and is obviously a discontinued design (the company that bought them out produced similar 2ch poweramps of inferior sound quality) Still better sound quality/amp quality than AV amps around £2500 and 2 channels at £1000!

I would leave digital amps for the non-subwoofer channel a few years..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale