What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This and other photos are popping up on the Replica Prop Forum. The dream team was there to authenticate the 3 foot Enterprise model. This is terrific!

Daren Dochterman, Gary Kerr, Mike and Denice Okuda, Doug Drexler, Heritage person (?), Rod Roddenberry, Heritage person (?), John Goodson and Heritage person (?).
IMG_2207.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I, too, was very concerned when I read of plans to "restore" the model as, like you, I know that "restoration" pretty much means the original will no longer *be* 100% original. It needs repairing but *not* repainting in the restoration sense. Underneath it's still the same, but... I'm one fan who'd prefer to see that original simply repaired and cleaned as best as possible without destroying what's left of the original paint job and then produce an identical model showing how it would have looked when new. Display them side-by-side.
We are “One”. :). That a good idea to build a replica. I’m sure this team will give all options consideration.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've never researched the Assignment Earth episode and didn't know Garr had an unpleasant experience. I'm really not too surprised as her character/role is little more than that of a comic relief bimbo. She was pretty much talked down to every time she was on screen and appears to be pretty much ignored due to the nature of the script. I've always felt her character could have easily been written out with little lost. It would have been a much more interesting story had the shape shifting cat character been the "secretary" as well as a traveling companion/co-worker. As it was, the cat/woman appeared to be there to imply she was nothing more than a sex toy for Gary Seven as the "reveal" was basically a throw away type shot seemingly to satisfy Roddenberry's "need" for a sexily clad woman to be in an episode.
From what I’ve read, Garr wasn’t happy with Roddenberry trying to make her costume’s skirt shorter and shorter. Perhaps others know more.

I think Garr’s role was an important one as she would be in the place of the audience members who get to see what’s going from her point of view.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That. Is. Exactly. My. Problem. With. It.

It's a boring episode with a lack of focus on the main characters. It's not a Trek episode even though it is the final episode of season two. I have zero love for this episode, really dislike they used it in Picard and is the "least" of all Trek season finales for me.

OT-- that's how I felt about the fourth-season finale of Emergency! from 1975, "905-Wild"; John and Roy and the Rampart General staff were little more than guest stars, and a completely unoriginal story, with equally unoriginal characters, got the spotlight.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Back to "The Cage". When the first cobbled-together black & white/color version was issued on VHS, it was placed in that numbered series logically as Episode Zero (0), with that designation on the spine. It was a perfect place for it, but then when they prepared the full color version, rather than simply discontinue the older version, they gave the new color Cage a spine number of 99. I'm not sure of the logic there, but so be it.

Meanwhile, I've heard that the original pilot was supposed to be called "The Menagerie" but when that title was re-used with the 2-pert Kirk framing story, they renamed the pilot "The Cage". Do I have that right, or have I twisted the facts?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was watching TWOK last night. Am I correct that when the Genesis Device Detonated, it destroyed the Mutara Nebula during the formation of Genesis?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was watching TWOK last night. Am I correct that when the Genesis Device Detonated, it destroyed the Mutara Nebula during the formation of Genesis?
Funnily enough, I was at a cinema screening of it last night.

Yes, and the implication (visually) is that it used the nebula matter to help create the Genesis planet.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Meanwhile, I've heard that the original pilot was supposed to be called "The Menagerie" but when that title was re-used with the 2-pert Kirk framing story, they renamed the pilot "The Cage". Do I have that right, or have I twisted the facts?
Yes that's pretty much correct. "The Cage" was an earlier title of the pilot, Roddenberry's original outline (as reprinted in The Making of Star Trek). It also carried the title "The Next Cage" and then "The Menagerie." Once the two-parter claimed that name, the original pilot was re-christened "The Cage" to eliminate confusion. It's been called that consistently at least since Allan Asherman's book The Star Trek Compendium (1980 Ballentine). When James Blish penned the adaptation for the 1971 Star Trek 4 compilation, he used "The Menagerie" title while sticking entirely to Pike's story, eliminating the framing story with Kirk, Mendez and the trial.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That was the least of my problems with Picard. :laugh:

I really don't rate any of the original series "last episodes" as season finales simply because they weren't what we call finales. Just episodes that aired last. None of them were great: "Operation: Annihilate!" is the best by default, not because it's good. NBC cut the order back from 30 to 29 so that dictated that. I can't imagine "Turnabout Intruder" being considered anything close to a good "finale" - even worse that it's the last episode of the series. Surprisingly for the era, all three were the final episodes produced each year and not just aired last. A lot of shows just tossed around their order and the last episode aired wasn't the final episode filmed.

TNG's season enders all felt like finales - except "Shades of Grey" which just felt like a "crap we're out of money" sacrifice play.

I will say this, "Turnabout Intruder" is ridiculously over the top and fun.
Wm Shatner said TI was his favorite episode - even though he ran a print of Shore Leave before his appearance for his "An Evening With William Shatner" events in the late 70s/80s. :cool: ...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jeezus Josh were you there???!!! I just saw this now and I was at the showing. I would have LOVED to have met you!

I was there for Khan but not DS9 - wore my yellow TOS command T-shirt - I only get an excuse to wear that like every other year. Nice size screen and great presentation, and that they showed the director’s cut was a pleasant surprise too.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was there for Khan but not DS9 - wore my yellow TOS command T-shirt - I only get an excuse to wear that like every other year. Nice size screen and great presentation, and that they showed the director’s cut was a pleasant surprise too.
Yep I was there! Flannel shirt, no hair, Khan tank top. 🤣

Sorry I didn't know you were there. Would have been fun to chat in person.

Good crowd, too. The film hits different with an audience. I try to see every Fathom and indie showing of it. I prefer the theatrical cut but any version is a joy.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yep I was there! Flannel shirt, no hair, Khan tank top. 🤣

Sorry I didn't know you were there. Would have been fun to chat in person.

Good crowd, too. The film hits different with an audience. I try to see every Fathom and indie showing of it. I prefer the theatrical cut but any version is a joy.

CAC is only about 25 minutes from home -I’m sure we’ll get an opportunity to try again, or we can set up something in my basement home theater one day (still a work in progress, but it’s up and running while the cosmetics of it all get sorted).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
CAC is only about 25 minutes from home -I’m sure we’ll get an opportunity to try again, or we can set up something in my basement home theater one day (still a work in progress, but it’s up and running while the cosmetics of it all get sorted).
Yeah I'm 10 minutes from CAC - same town. I'm sure we can set something up. Besides, every so often they run a classic SF film. I saw the original Planet of the Apes there back in September.

I'm sure that narrows it down. :laugh:
Ha, facts. There was more than one Starfleet officer in attendance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks