What's new
World Wide Stereo

Home Theater United Episode 17 - Aspect Ratios, Streaming and Home Video (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
John Jansen from The Hollywood Saloon and The Hollywood Gauntlet joins us to update us on what he’s been up to since his Podcasting days
Aspect Ratios in the Streaming Age

1. Physical Media outlook
  2. Directors choices
  3. Podcasting today and in the future
  4. GBU

Show notes:

Please note that we had some issues with skype call quality here, we did the best we could to optimize the audio for the show.

Spoiler alert at 101 minutes in!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Will do. :)

(I’m in the final stretch of a thrilling audiobook, so my podcast listening is a bit delayed this week. But I’ll be done in a few days.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Uhm...so...this is a though one... <sheepish> I’m about 30 minutes in and had to stop because the poor audio quality was stressing me out. (I tend to skip podcast episodes with this kind of audio issue. Sometimes they get fixed after the fact and I can catch the later edited version.)

I’ll try to get back to it later, if only to jump ahead to the spoiler section to see how that goes. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s the creed discussion
What’s the time code? That’s 60 minutes, not 101 minutes. But I listened to ~59 to 61 minutes and no spoiler warning. But there were what I think were spoilers.

I can re-download and listen to the specific portion.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Clearly I’m going to have the record for the shortest podcast. I don’t know if that’s a good sign or bad.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
What’s the time code? That’s 60 minutes, not 101 minutes. But I listened to ~59 to 61 minutes and no spoiler warning. But there were what I think were spoilers.

I can re-download and listen to the specific

6ECC8600-8D98-4750-8D4F-7E9A5D6E1C35.jpeg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And @Brian Dobbs , Ordinary People is available on iTunes for $5 :P

I think it's an exceptional movie, for those who like dialog driven, stage play style dramas.

It's been out of print on DVD in the US for probably 20 years, as I recall. I finally resorted to getting a R2 UK copy, but retired it once I got it on iTunes. Unfortunately, though it's supposedly HD, it's no better than the DVD as far as I can tell.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Let us know if the spoiler alert was sufficient please @DaveF - you have given us the best feedback on those so far!
For me personally, that's still too fast and subtle. I took me two or three listens to catch it. I've linked previously on this, but I prefer the approach of a distinct, multi-second long sound, and then a distinct host conversational transition to spoilers. It gives me the listener time to transition into the mindset of what's coming and decide if to continue or not.

The challenge of your show format re: my recommendation, is that your show isn't pre-spoilers and then post-spoilers. You're just talking and jumping in and out of spoilers on the fly.

I suggest listening to other podcasts that deal with this and steal / improve on the best approches. This is a "solved problem" for a decade now, so you really don't have to struggle to reinvent it. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I sent this privately too but it's good for other listeners to hear it:

Honestly it comes down to this for me: Creed is an 8+ year old movie and fair game for spoiler discussions at a high level. Grogu is a thing in Mandalorian. There's a twist in The Sixth Sense. The Russians are back in creed 2, and they actually shine and have a happyish ending.

If we did something -specific- like for 6th sense:
"I can't believe he was dead in Sixth sense the whole time"
that's kinda shitty. But still, it's a 20 year old movie that has been released on 4 separate disk formats. I don't see us having a blanket statement on spoilers at all, but we will try to make it obvious. And what's keeping us honest is each other saying "I think we need a spoiler alert at X time to try alert people", when we breeze into things that are old but still spoilery.

The show is going to have minimal edits but we have committed to putting in warnings where necessary. They interrupt the flow of the show and having a short one helps keep that moving along while still being courteous. We tried a fan made spoiler alert noise and folks hated it. I've scoured the web looking for good ones to use, there aren't any. If anyone finds a good one, mail it to [email protected] and we will insert it whenever necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks