What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Abyss -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
That was even true in 1994 - when I saw it at a theater back then, a few friends and I were laughing when these two young men turned and said, "Stop laughing, it's a serious movie" or words to that effect. Which frankly made us laugh louder.
115731.jpg

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I know Chris Elliott was in The Abyss - View attachment 219492 What character did Tom Barr-Arnold play in The Abyss?
A: Tom Arnold married Rosanne Barr a year "After" the film finished it's theatrical run. (divorced in 1994)
B: I know him better in True Lies (1994), unless you can back your claim of Tom Arnold with some sort of evidence, which brings us to:
C: Do you happen to refer to "Tom Isbell"? (the Deleted role (who reappears in the 1993 Special Edition)? as a reporter with camcorder during tidal wave sequence in the and a guy beside Grant Heslov in a building at after Harry Tasker enters the Harriet Jet in "True Lies" (1994)?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, I preordered The Abyss the day it was announced for UHD, and I confess I haven’t followed this discussion in the weeks since it’s release. I figured I would see for myself, and I did, last night.

I thought the film looked stunning. Absolutely stunning. I concede that it’s different from what it looked like in the theater, which was the last time I saw it, nearly 35 years ago, but I don’t care. This disc was made for watching here, in my home.

I see it the same way that music from 50 years ago is currently made to play on iPods (yes, I still use one), iPhones, and so forth. The content is mastered with modern technology in mind. That’s a good thing.

When I saw the Abyss 35 years ago, I remember I liked it, but I didn’t love it. It was often very dark and it could be hard to discern what was happening. Recalling that, I was afraid of what it could look like on UHD or Blu-ray, especially since so many 4ks have been excessively dark. I’m pleased to say that’s not the case, and in fact, it’s the opposite of that. I found it well lit with colors that are sometimes even vibrant.

The movie itself is terrific - and the special edition is better than the theatrical - and Cameron really knew how to make the audience anxious.

I know it took him forever to get this film out on HD. I hate long waits. But I’m glad to see he did so with the level of care that he did. All of our 35-year-old memories should look so good.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Jayembee already mentioned Barnes & Noble. I'll also toss in a mention for Newbury Comics, though selection is typically limited and prices high.

I believe every Newbury Comics location that was anywhere near me has closed. They all had pretty much reduced their physical media sections to one small shelf or one stand alone bin anyway, so I had not been in one in years. They seem more of a clothing and random collectibles store.

They closed one of the Barnes and Noble locations near me and the other two near me do not carry physical media. Or they carry a few things once and a while but they have no physical media section. The only Barnes and Noble I know of that has a physical media section is in New Hampshire. So, I tend to stop there during the Criterion sales but that's it.

There is a comic book store near me that has a single rack of Blu-rays, or they did. Really, I think the closest store to me that has any physical media is WalMart but I almost never go there. I've taken to ordering everything online now.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I know screenshot comparisons are frowned upon around here, but I thought to post this anyway.
A comparison between an old HD version and the new blu-ray that I found.
(apologies for not posting the exact same frame)
It's up to you now what do you prefer...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Well whattaya know...after I posted that, I got mail from the DMC that they've shipped my order! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Allegedly, I should be getting the 3 Cameron 4Ks tomorrow later today. Of course, there are an infinite number of universes where I don't. On the other hand, there are an infinite number of universes in which I do. We shall see in roughly 9-10 hours.🤔

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So, last night I watched the extended versions of both Aliens and The Abyss. I had seen the current presentation of The Abyss Special Edition theatrically in December, and loved it then, so I expected to like it on the UHD. And I did, except for a couple of glitches.

At around 1:35 into the film, in the scene where Hippy is checking out what the SEALs are up to, and just before he's snagged by Coffey, there's a glitch. I've tried playing it through several times (including after ejecting the disc and wiping it with a microfiber cloth), and it's not consistent. In some of the play-throughs, there's some pixellation, before jumping ahead a second or so. In other play-throughs, it just pauses for a second before jumping ahead. The latter suggests that it might be where a layer change is, but I've never seen the former happen at a layer change. The same thing happens in a later scene, where Bud is suited up for his deep dive, right at the point where Monk says his line about "We all breathe liquid for nine months." Same inconsistency in what happens during the play-throughs. Probably the second layer change?

On the other hand, I had no problems with Aliens. I'll admit that it was a bit disconcerting to not see a lot of grain, especially in the dark-ish sequence as the Marines go into the alien nest. But all-in-all, I was very pleased with how it looked.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
only byproducts of various scans, as compressed, down-rezzed and otherwise affected
It's already a known quantity now that the 4k digital copies, remastered BDs and UHDs are all showing the same kind of PQs because they're all sharing the same source, so compression and resolution isn't a matter here.

And since the new master's capture is representative, the only possibility left to get this "older master looks much grainier and more natural than the new one" comparison would be if the older master capture has been retooled to add fake grain onto it. Do you think it's what happened here ?

So this actually isn't meaningless, but allows the same kind of comparison than for Aliens : before / after the Park Road process; and that's insightful.

It does seem however that this scene is amongst the most processed of the new remaster, so there'd be that (but it remains in the remaster nevertheless, so still a source issue).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks