What's new

What do those little silica packets do? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
You know the ones... they usually come in a box of new shoes or usually something with leather and they say "DO NOT EAT" on them. What is their purpose? Do they keep things fresh? Do they absorb odors?

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I wonder if they absorb moisture? :D
We bought a bunch of equipment at work that came with rather large silica packets - they were several inches across. I immediately pulled one out and said, "Sweet! They included candy with our order!" I then opened a package, poured some into my hand and motioned as if I was going to put them in my mouth. The reaction from my coworkers was hilarious - cries of "No wait!", "Don't eat that!", "It's not candy!!" ... Totally made my day.
The worst part about those little packets is the warning on the front. You just know somebody opened up a new hard drive and stupidly thought they sent him some complimentary candy. :laugh:

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet (it's a long thread and I didn't want to read all the posts), but they do absorb moisture. I also heard a rumor that they absorb salsa, but I don't know if that's true. :D

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Man, did this thread ever go OT.

Getting back to the question you asked, Dave, they're for the absorption of moisture. Rumors of salsa absorption are totally unfounded.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I read that these packets help keep things dry by absorption, but what they actually absorb is anybody's guess.

Any ideas, anybody?

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Can anyone tell me where I can get some of those little packets of salsa that they throw in the box with new hard drives?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I believe those salsa packets get absorbed by the silica packets by the time the box hits the store shelves.

But that's just a rumor - I have no way of knowing for sure.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
They don't absorb salsa, they poison it. Geesh. Some people aren't paying close enough attention.

As for the original question, I think some are labeled that they absorb moisture. Others aren't labeled as such, so perhaps they absorb something else. Try sticking one under your armpit for a day and see how that turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread