What's new

Zhang Yimou's "The Story of Qui Ju"... now on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
The Review of the DVD is here:
CLICK HERE
and the Film Review with screen captures is directly above.
The Mei Ah Laser Disc corporation have come out with some pretty poor ports to DVD from their old Laser Disc days, but this is an exception. The image quality may be on of the best I have seen from a Hong Kong Region 0 DVD. As a typical Zhang Yimou trait, it is rich in color, fully contrasted, but not saturated. The blacks are deep and true. The sound quality, often meant by the director to be scattered, is totally acceptable. My only drawback with the DVD are the removable English subtitles that occasionally zoom by the screen much too fast for normal reading purposes.
At $14 I would say this is a no-brainer to purchase. Unless The Criterion company, or more likely, Columbia Tri-Star, come out with a version with more extras soon, then there is no viable reason why any foreign film fan/DVD collector shouldn't own this. A commentary would be a great asset, but it might also detract from the innocence of the production.
Regards,

StevenA

Second Unit
This is interesting to hear, Gary. Sony announced this film a couple of years back, around the same time Chen Kaige's Emperor and The Assassin was released, as I recall. Then it was delayed, and since then, nothing!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
At $14 I would say this is a no-brainer to purchase. Unless The Criterion company, or more likely, Columbia Tri-Star, come out with a version with more extras soon,
Absolutely a no-brainer. I don't see Criterion or CTS getting anything out so I won't hesitate to buy. Great, great news. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks