What's new

Yorkville PA speaker ????????????? Help! (1 Viewer)

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
Now I was taking part this here yorkville pulse 12 Monitor to find why the tweeter doesn't work when I found something really strange. can anybody explain why there is what appears to be a F#$!ing light bulb in the crossover? Cause I'm just a titch baffled. Please, Please explain. :angry: :frowning: :angry: :confused:

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
I'm sure someone will jump in with the technical reasoning, but here is my take on the subject. I've seen these used in crossovers before (generally in the high-frequency section) to dissipate heat, and to act as a "fuse" for potential overloads.
JP

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
duh how else would the gnomes see their sheet music to play with? you want then my light a fire inside your loudspeaker, get real, all decent speakers have gnome integrated sound, everyone knows that :D

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
This is an old practice.

Light bulbs are use in low buck speakers to protect the tweeters. If the speaker is being overdriven the 'excess' power is sent into the light bulb (yes it does light up) instead of blowing the tweeter.

If the bulb is burned out the tweeter won't work. If the light bulb is ok then the tweeter is toast.

The light bulb is used because it's cheaper than a fuse and use holder or a relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks