Yorkville PA speaker ????????????? Help!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David Giesbrecht, Aug 14, 2003.

1. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

Now I was taking part this here yorkville pulse 12 Monitor to find why the tweeter doesn't work when I found something really strange. can anybody explain why there is what appears to be a F#$!ing light bulb in the crossover? Cause I'm just a titch baffled. Please, Please explain. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I'm sure someone will jump in with the technical reasoning, but here is my take on the subject. I've seen these used in crossovers before (generally in the high-frequency section) to dissipate heat, and to act as a "fuse" for potential overloads.
    JP

3. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

that makes perfect sense that would explain why the tweeter doesn't work, thanx

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

duh how else would the gnomes see their sheet music to play with? you want then my light a fire inside your loudspeaker, get real, all decent speakers have gnome integrated sound, everyone knows that [​IMG]

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

This is an old practice.

Light bulbs are use in low buck speakers to protect the tweeters. If the speaker is being overdriven the 'excess' power is sent into the light bulb (yes it does light up) instead of blowing the tweeter.

If the bulb is burned out the tweeter won't work. If the light bulb is ok then the tweeter is toast.

The light bulb is used because it's cheaper than a fuse and use holder or a relay.