What's new

Yet another "which receiver" question (1 Viewer)

rchiav

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Chiavaroli
Hi everyone, So I've had an Harman Kardon AVR325 for almost 10 years now, and it's given up the ghost. Actually the fans won't run and it goes into a thermal protection mode and cuts the sound. I have a friend who works on tube guitar amps and he took a look at it. He says it's a real pain to work on and he can't find a soldered in fuse that it needs and the a regulator and said that I'd be better off taking to an official repair place. The problem is that I'm sure it will cost more than it's worth at this point to fix it. That said, I've always liked the sound. My receiver before that was an entry level Pioneer and I was blown away by how much better this sounded. My concern though is that I don't want to spend a ton. I think I spent about $600 on the KH and making a purchase like that wasn't in the plan right now. What I'd like is a basic 5.1 receiver with digital and coax with decent components so it doesn't sound harsh and brittle. When I was shopping last time, I remember the cheaper Onkyo's I looked at sounded OK for TV and movies, but for music, they were too harsh. I don't need video switching because I don't like adding more to the signal chain than you have to. Is there anything in the sub $500 price range (sub $300 would be even better) that is 5.1 and puts sound quality over features? Thanks, Rich

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Rich, if you prefer music quality over features, let me make an off the wall recommendation... The Brits and Canadians have a reputation at producing exactly the type of gear you are looking for. Unfortunately, you won't find any Rotel or NAD gear, even used and less than 5 years old, in this price range. However, you can get a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R receiver for $299 at Accessories4less.com (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMB540RV2B/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-Azur-540R-Ver.2-6.1-A/V-Receiver-Black/1.html#!specifications). The catch, no HDMI which means no Blu-Ray lossless Dolby or DTS HD formats. However, you will have superior 2channel performance as well as DVD dolby digital performance. The next best thing for you is to get your hands on a Marantz receiver, again, better reputation for quality over features than the usual suspects. In this case, I'd recommend a Marantz SR5005 for $459.99 (includes free shipping) (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMB540RV2B/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-Azur-540R-Ver.2-6.1-A/V-Receiver-Black/1.html#!specifications) Good-luck, JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks