What's new

Yamaha to get a new makeover (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I was at my local aduio/video store looking into the new Denon's. I've posted a thread about this already. I don;t know about you guys but, who likes how the face plate of the newest Yamaha look? The RVX620, 520, 420 w/ those annoying inputs on the fronts panel. talking to the sale rep he was saying that poeple are always complaining about it but, they still buy them because of the price and reliability. Tweeter has apparently taken it in cosideration and let the folks at Yamaha know as well. So, they have talked to the yamaha reps and they fell the same and we should be expecting some new Yammies in August or September. Tweeter couldn'y give any details on an exact date or specs but, you can be pretty sure it will porobably have a few newbies (PL2, true dts-es at least one extra amp section and who knows what else). That was a relief to find out because in my opinion they new look terrible. If any one else know anymore info please share. It's going to be between Denon or Yamaha.
------------------

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Those "annoying" front panel inputs have been prized as a valuable feature for those of us who use portable recording equipment and who want to plug into the home system with a minimum of inconvenience. IOW, not having to root around behind the components for a "temporary" plug-in, or not having to have extra cords dangling around from the back to the front not connected to anything most of the time, has been a real plus.
The Yamaha DSP-A3090 and a number of other Yamaha models included a "door" that covered the part of the front panel with the inputs as well as a number of less often used controls. (But I always left it open; I didn't think the front panel inputs looked bad at all. I was NOT "annoyed" by them.) I realize that some of the less expensive models didn't have the "door" -- but then, perhaps the owners of those units would also be less likely to need what was underneath. :>)(IOW, they might not be doing a lot of field recording.)
In general, the receiver manufacturers have already been "cheaping out" by deleting such useful items (to those who need them) as phono inputs and AC-3 RF demod inputs, thus requiring owners of turnatables and LD players to buy external plug in units for those functions. Instead, they offer a plethora of inexpensive-to-implement "gee-whiz" but seldom used DSP modes.
I think removing the front panel inputs for cosmetics is a step backwards. But the fewer features included, the lower the per unit expense. Since it undoubtedly less expensive to produce the unit without front panel inputs, if enough consumers say they don't want them, you can be sure the manufacturers will be happy to oblige! :>)
Burke

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Burke,
I don't know if Charles was objecting to front panel inputs per se or the way they look on the Yamahas he mentionned. I have seen these new Yamahas, and the front inputs are on a sort of pod hanging down from the center of the receiver's faceplate, looking sort of like those add/on auto air conditioners that hung under the center of the dash back in the 60s.
This doesn't particularly bother me, btw. They sorta look "tacked on", but on the other hand are easily accessible. I would not own a receiver that did not have a set of front panel inputs.
Of much more importance to me would be the inclusion of Pro-Logic II, and the ability to run DTS-ES and THX-EX without external amplification at a reasonable price point (say under $1k). I am a great believer in Yamaha quality and reliability, and would love to see them do a Denon 3801 killer.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
They are easily accessible but the look of it is just horrible. Mount it on the top or somewhere else. Obviously they didn't do much test marketing of the look of the new Yammies or else they would have redesigned them by now.

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
OK, I'll grant you on those three models, they could have done a much better job integrating the front inputs into the design to be more aesthetically appealling. (I'd have to agree that, as they are now, they are aesthetically appalling.) :>) But I hope they don't "throw out the baby with the bath water" by simply eliminating the front inputs rather than coming up with a design that incorporates them more gracefully into the front panel.
Burke

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the front inputs sort of degrade an otherwise fine looking piece of eqp.
"Behind the little door" is OK, but I'd simply rather see them integrated with the std rectangular front, maybe with a slight depression. (I think at least one other manufacturer does that.) No door, but no "hanging pod" either.
And I don't know if this would work for eqp racks, but, put them on the side, near the front!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks