What's new

Yamaha rx-v420 & 96 kHz/24-Bit DAC question. (1 Viewer)

G Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still searching for a HT reciever and have come across a yamaha rx-v420 for sale. I have searched here and on Audioreview.com and neither sites have any listing of this reciever. I have been to the yamaha web site and compared it to the RX-V800 which I was also contemplating and the only differences i could see were the following.
RX-V420 is rated at a lesser power. But my main concern is that is doesn't have a 96 kHz/24-Bit DAC. Now I have no idea what this function is, but i see that the higher-end processors have it. Can anybody tell me what it does, and if it makes any difference?
The RX-V420 is for sale for $520 AUD compared to the RX-V800 at $1499. I'm wondering if its worth 3 times as much seeing that they both have DTS.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Haven't heard of the 420 Yam but it sounds like an 1105. The Yamaha lines are all good, from the RX to the RXV. If it has the modes you want, go for it. At that price, you can't be wrong with a Yamaha.
------------------

DaveThomas

Grip
The DACs are digital to analog converters, and 96kHz/24bit DACs are pretty standard (although some receivers have 192kHz/24bit DACs). Basically the higher each number, the more accurate the conversion from digital to analog will be.
I have the Yamaha RXV-800 and am very pleased with it, but it does have many more inputs than I would need. Soon after I bought it, Yamaha released the RXV-420, 520 and 620. If I had to do it over again I'd buy the 620 just because it has fewer inputs and it's a little less money.
I do believe that the 420,520,620 also have 96kHz/24bit DACs, just like the RXV-800.
One note, the 420 and 520 do not have the continuous volume control that the 620 and 800 have, so you may want to look at the 620. I get irritated when receivers use volume controls that max their output when the knob is only 1/4 way turned up.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
The amp designs are very different also, also the 800 is multi-room/multi source, has a digital out,a phono input, more inputs analog & digital,component video switching,a much better remote...do I need to keep typing?
------------------
Matt says "if you have received good service from a salesman,if he has educated you as to what you should buy, buy from him! not from the internet!"

G Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that David. I checked out the Yamaha web page and printed up all the specs on the 420. Appart from the power output, the only other difference was that it didn't have the D/A converters. Does this mean that this unit won't reproduce the Audio from my DVD player as well as a unit which does have this feature?

DaveThomas

Grip
Let me look around and see if I can get more info about the DACs that are used in the 420, 520 and 620. I also looked at the Yamaha web page and it listed them as 96kHz/24 bit compatible. I saw a pdf file that listed specs in more detail; I'll see if I can dig that up.
If the 420 didn't use 96/24 DACs, then technically it shouldn't do as well, but it depends on the design. It may be such a small difference that you couldn't hear it easily.
I couldn't hear a difference between 96/24 and 192/24 when I was auditioning receivers.
As Matt pointed out, the 800 does have a few more options, I forgot about the component video and multi-room capability (don't use them yet).

DaveThomas

Grip
Ok, I looked at the international links on Yamaha's site and it does look like the 420 doesn't have the 96/24 DACs.
The US and international versions may be different.
If that is something you are concerned about, check out the 520 or 620. From looking at the site (I like the way the international site is laid out, much better than US information) the 620 uses the same amp design/layout that the rxv800 does (Yamaha calls it Digital Top Art). In the US, the 620 is around $200 more than 420 I think, not sure what this would be in Aus.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I was looking at these models too. I would go one up though and get the 520. I don't think the 420 has S-Video inputs, only composite.

G Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
Thanks for your opinions. I was origionally aiming for the 800, but i saw this 420 for sale second hand. Its less than 1/3 the price. Hmmmm, desicions.... desicions. If i go for the 420, it gives me more money to buy a sub and surrounds with... Oh well, i will work it out i guess. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks