What's new

Yamaha RX-V2600 Does the job!! (1 Viewer)

Robert Ham

Agent
Used the YAPO function and it told me one of my rear right surround speaker was out of phase??? I checked the wiring at the AMP and the speaker and it was OK??? So using a 1.5 volt battery I checked the movement of the voice coil and WOW, it was reversed. Opened up the speaker and found the black and red wires were Reversed. I am the original owner and never opened them up, So this was a factory defect issue. I used these rear book shelf speakers, JBL, for 5 years as my Front speakers before I upgraded my system. We all know what out of phase speakers will do to the sound, but my ears never picked it up!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I am looking to start design/construction on my own HT and have been looking at the RX-V2600. :D How long have you had the unit and how does it sound? What speakers are you running w/it? I had the chance to listen to the 2600 just briefly with Yammy speakers and thought that it sounded really nice but the dealer I was at only had Yammy speakers available at the time and was wondering how other speakers sounded w/this unit. Have been searching here and at other sights and most of the talk has been about the video up-conversion and so on. I'm very interested in that, but also how it sounds.

Any input would be appreciated.

Robert Ham

Agent
I have had the unit about 2 weeks! Did a LOT of research on it before I decided on it over a Pioneer or Denon. I have KLIPSCH SYNERGY F-3 speakers for the front 3 speakers, and JBL S38II 3 ways for the 4 rear plus a JBL Sub Woofer. I have done a lot of testing and I am very pleased with the sound. I honestly feel it is close to what I hear in the stores in the HiFi demo rooms. You can definitely Spend More, but I feel like I got the Honda Accord for value and performance. Yes BMW and Mercedes are better, but at 2 or 3 times the cost of this high end equipment like B&W speakers, well I could not justify the jump to this next level. My Horn Tweeters and deep rich Bass is just outstanding on several DVD and music. I have taken a STING CD to several stores to try and do the comparisons concentrating on the CLARITY and Presence of the audio. The Yamaha RX-V2600 held its own! I use the Video Upconversion to HTMI a lot and the YAPO works great. BTW, the ACOUSTECH HT-75 sound as good as the F-3 at 1/2 the price!! :emoji_thumbsup: :b :) ;)

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I figure that the 2600 is more than I need right now, but I'll probably only get "one shot" at this HT thing before money is spent on other "home improvements"

FYI I have been thinking of pairing the 2600 w/the SVS 7.1 system due to the reviews here and at other forums. The HT-75 is in my price range but due to space considerations I'm looking at more the Book shelf/sub combo. It is comforting to know that the 2600 holds it own against some very notable contenders.

If I can get close too BMW and Mercedes performance on a Honda budget I'm in.

Thanks again and Enjoy that fine piece of A/V equipment you have.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't feel too bad. Because unless the speaker was used with just one other speaker (left or the right) & no center channel and it was used with no subwoofer, during playback of movie soundtracks it would be difficult to notice. And movies can have many weird sound effects, which can also help to hide this problem.*

Out of phase speakers-in a pure stereo configuration, especially when playing music-will:

* lack bass, especially if it's a larger speaker (6.5" woofer and larger), since the lower frequencies are most effected by this condition;

* mids and highs will sound unfocused, causing the stereo image seem to blurrily float in between the speakers. And as you move from side to side (usually just a few inches), they will audibly change;

* depending on the speaker and how close you are, when you move there will be-this is hard to describe!-a pulling(?) or similar sensation "in your head". I guess this is where the two opposite wavefronts are trying to cancel each other out.

Someone on another forum mentioned since a music signal is really A/C, each speaker manufacturer would wire their speakers whatever way they wanted to, but another manufacturer might wire them the opposite way. So these two sets of speakers might be out of phase relative to each other (I think this might be called an "absolute polarity" situation). This theory sounded reasonable but I figured all the engineers would be aware of this possibility and standardize their +/- input terminals.

But just for kicks I disconnected one Boston Acoustics front main, my Infinity center and one Pioneer rear channel. I used the test where you face each speaker towards each other & separated by just a few inches. I played my Massive Attack Mezzazine CD (VERY heavy bass) while doing this and all speakers had the same polarity (if one did not, the bass would have disappeared). Whew, that was a relief!

* to hear an out-of-phase configuration, there has to be at least two speakers playing at the same time and be reproducing the same sounds.

johnTHI

Auditioning
My YAPO function doesn't work on my new RX-V2600. It just tells me the mike is not connected! IT IS! So, I'm not sure I am doing something wrong or it just doesn't work. Everything else is working fine on the unit. Great surround and basic stereo. Also, during setup it would only let me run my cable audio coax using VCR1 instead of TV/DBS. All in all a great receiver.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"That's a cool and very useful function-I didn't know YPAO also checked for that. "

Actually the Pioneer units do the same thing also.

Brent

Shane Harg

Second Unit
I would take it back and get a new one. The YAPO function is very useful, especially if you watch a lot of movies. It creates a very cohesive soundfield, even if you use all direct radiating speakers, like I do.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
I'll also add here that the 2600 also delivers where many amps fall short - rich bass at very low levels. This is the true test of a good amplifier, whereas many people seem to think it's all in how loud they can go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks