What's new

Yamaha HTR-5760 (1 Viewer)

Chris Gunn

Grip
I am having a problems with my Yamaha that I hope someone can shed some light on here.

When I am not using it to watch movies I like to listen to music sometimes loud. I have some cerwin vega VS-120 for the fronts. With my old receiver I got very nice Bass out of them! Now with this yamaha I am not getting so lucky:frowning:

I have tried alot of different things to get this to work but have had no luck so far. I have a old DVD player that I am using for my MP3 disks I have that running into the CD inputs of the receiver. I have used 2ch stereo & Direct. I have also set bass out to Both,and front with no luck. It just will not let the down low bass out of the front channel. I have also tried setting the front to large/w no sub and still no luck? I have looked at the manual many times but can't find anything on this. I am starting to think maybe it just won't let the lows out to the fronts at all??? Anybody have any ideas that could help me out??

Thanks!

johnny..bon

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Try increasing the bass tone from 0 to +6. I have a 5760 but use a Crown XLS-402 amp and have the opposite problem, too much bass which I tone down with the bass control to a -4.5.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm going to assume from your post that you do not have a subwoofer?

I have the 5760 and what you would need to do to feed all of the bass to the front mains is in the SET MENU > MANUAL SETUP > 1 SOUND MENU > A) SPEAKER SET, set your FRONT SP to LARGE and then under the LFE/BASS OUT, set it to FRNT (the LFE has choices for SUB, FRNT, or BOTH). Having the options setup this way will send all the bass out to your front L and R main speakers. If it doesn't sound up to your expectations after this, then you need bigger and better speakers with big woofers. If you are using a subwoofer, the 5760 manual suggests selecting BOTH to "reinforce low-frequency signals when playing back sources such as CDs".

However, looking at your Cerwin Vega VS-120s with the 12" woofer, you should definitely setup your Yamaha with LFE/BASS to BOTH. But remember, the Yamaha is still going to send some of the frequencies under 80Hz to the subwoofer so the only way to get the sub to stop working is to set the LFE/BASS to FRONT. You didn't say what your old receiver was, but if it didn't have a subwoofer, then your Cerwin Vega VS-120s were handling all of the bass and now perhaps you have a subwoofer added into the mix. If you don't have a subwoofer, then you should definitely set the LFE/BASS to FRONT.

This is what the subwoofer output is for though. I have a 12" JBL E250p (not the greatest sub but pretty good) hooked up to the 5760. I have my JBL E80s (which are not even close to the size of your Cerwin Vega VS-120s) in the front set to SMALL because while they do have two 6" woofers, they're not particularly made to push low-frequency bass (like the E100s which have two 10" woofers), especially seeing as their frequency response only goes down to 38Hz and 6" woofers aren't going to push low bass frequencies that well anyway. So by setting the E80s to SMALL, and having the crossover for the subwoofer set at 80Hz anyway, nothing under 80Hz goes to the front mains. For the LFE/BASS OUT, I have it set to only SUB so everything under 80Hz goes to the big box and I get plenty of bass with my CDs. If a CD isn't as punchy in the bass department as a 5.1 mix with discrete LFE, then I simply up the volume level for the sub until I get what I want, which is usually around +3.0-+8.0, depending on the CD in question.

I've experimented with setting my E80s in the front to LARGE so that the bass under 80Hz gets sent to them too, but it doesn't sound as good because I feel the E80s are now doing too much work in the low frequency ranges and it tends to make the sound "murky" and "muddy". Letting the subwoofer do the job for everything under 80Hz and allowing the FRONT SP to concentrate the mid- and high-range is what sounds best.

Or at least to my ears anyway. Your mileage may vary. :)

Chris Gunn

Grip
I Do have a sub. But when I turn it up good and loud the sub dose not cut it so thats why I put my Cerwin Vegas back on just for music. But I did try what you are saying and that still has not worked right? Set LFE/Bass out to frnt.

I have used 2 diffrent receviers

And Old Fisher 110watts RMS channel but it was a Pro-logic receiver only so I up graded last year to a Pioneer VSX-D411. Both of them pushed the cerwin's with no problum. Pushed them HARD I must say. The only diffence to my setup now is I have added the sub.

I did do the auto setup with the sub amp off and it set it up with the front to large but still would not let the down low (I would say 120Hz down) Goto the fronts........ I dunno whats going on:frowning:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I also forgot to add that perhaps you have one of the Dolby or DTS digital signal processors (DSP) on which will change the sound of two-track stereo immensely. On the 5760's remote control there is a button for STRAIGHT which will turn off all DSP stuff as well as simply bypass all the settings and pump the CD's two-track stereo to the front left and right mains. If this doesn't sound like how it used to, then you're one of the few who will prefer using two different sound systems: one for music use for listening to CDs and another for home theater use.

If it's not letting anything under 120Hz down then you're still using a crossover setting on either the amp or the sub. I would try the MANUAL SETUP instead of the AUTO SETUP as described above in my first response. Set the FRONT SP to large and set the LFE/BASS OUT to FRONT.

Also try that STRAIGHT signal thing and see what you hear. And what johnny..bon suggested too: play with the Tone control (that is only accessible from the front of the unit--there is no remote function for this). I have mine set to +0.0 for bass and +2.0 for treble. That's for my tastes, anyway.

Remember too that no one setting on these surround systems is going to work for everything. I find myself constantly tweaking a lot of stuff when I listen to CDs. For 5.1 stuff though, I have my system calibrated and those settings stay the same for all movies. CDs on the other hand are finicky since there is no "reference quality" when mixing them, especially stuff done years ago.

Before the Yamaha HTR-5760, I used a 20-year-old Technics receiver to two old tower speakers with 10" woofers. Even with CDs, this new Yamaha system with the JBLs I have blow the bass that system would pump out of the water. Not to mention the sonic image of separation apparent. Everything is so smooth and clean now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks