What's new

Xbox, PS2 and network add-ons. . . (1 Viewer)

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
So, I received a notice in my inbox from EBgames.com stating that the Xbox Live Communicator I ordered will be released on Nov. 5. And it got me thinking. . . what is this "communicator" -- and by extension, the Xbox Live service -- but a hardware add-on?

From the beginning, Microsoft has trumpeted that online-gaming hardware was "built-in" to the Xbox, unlike the PS2. Sony's detractors have endlessly pointed out that a PS2 owner must buy a network adapter, which doesn't bode well for Sony's online service when so many console owners don't even buy a second controller.

Except . . . Microsoft seems to have missed its own point. This "communicator" retails for $50 -- $10 more than Sony's adapter -- and is scheduled to street more than two months after Sony's online solution. Plus, the Xbox doesn't support narrowband connections. Once again, Microsoft seems to be aiming its revolver squarely at its foot.

Yes, I know one doesn't need the communicator to play online, if they're willing to forgo voice communication and pay the $10 per month or so. But Microsoft has trumpeted voice-com as integral to the XBox gaming experience, so it's likely that many people will feel obligated to shell out the dough IF they want to go online.

Also, I expect Microsoft to put a huge push behind the communicator, to the point where it could lead to consumer confusion. Many people might erroneously believe that the Communicator is necessary to go online. What's worse, many people with narrowband connections might buy the Communicator thinking it will allow them to go online, only to discover otherwise later.

So, as you can see, I'm now having some doubts about the viability of Microsoft's marketing plan behind Xbox Live. That's not to say I want it to fail -- my Xbox will be online within minutes of my Communicator's delivery. I just wonder how many other people will be. . .

(I note that Sony's PS2 network adapter is a best-seller at EBgames.com but the Xbox Live communicator is nowhere to be found on the Xbox best-seller list. Decidedly unscientific and probably means nothing, but I note it nonetheless.)

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
This "communicator" retails for $50 -- $10 more than Sony's adapter -- and is scheduled to street more than two months after Sony's online solution
Actually, the $50 includes a game pack in (revolt, a racing game...RC cars apparently), the communicator and 12 months of access to the Live system. I don't think it's quite correct to say you're paying $50 for just the communicator.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think "Re-Volt" would be much of a selling point, seeing as it's at least a half-generation old (first released for PS One, N64 and Dreamcast.) And Sony's network adapter also includes demos, a mail-in coupon for "Twisted Metal: Black Online," and the opportunity to play all of "Frequency" online if you already own that game.

As for 12 months of access to Xbox Live. . . none of Sony's online games have a monthly access fee as of yet, so Sony's access is essentially "free" after you buy the network adapter.

Either you pay $40 for Sony's online adapter -- or you pay $50 (or $10 per month) for Microsoft's service. Whatever your choice, it adds up to an add-on.

Just playing devil's advocate here. It seems to me that Xbox is not as "plug and play" as Microsoft led us to think. . . and that bothers me. (Not enough to keep me from paying and playing, though.)

Adam, out of curiosity, any idea what that "other game" might be? I love Re-Volt, but I already own it, so. . .

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I've just seen posts here and on various XBox sites that there's a strong chance it'll be "something else". Nothing was specifically named.

However, this might have been misinterpreted information in reference to the next wave of beta testers, who are receiving an online-only NFL Fever.

Neither of those sound particularly compelling to me.

Edit: whoops...spelling error.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Plus, the Xbox doesn't support narrowband connections
Just my opinion, and from my own experiences of gaming online since the 1200 bps days... :b If somebody is going to be playing video games on dial up, they will become frustrated fast.... I can only imagine the latency they'd experience these days.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Either you pay $40 for Sony's online adapter -- or you pay $50 (or $10 per month) for Microsoft's service. Whatever your choice, it adds up to an add-on.
I have been playing Halo online since the second week after I bought my XBOX and it has not cost me a dime extra. Nor did I have to buy any "accessory" to get it to work. It worked right out of the box.* What was the last game you played online with your PS2?
Sony and Microsoft have chosen two different approaches to online play. Both approaches are valid for different reasons and each are marketed to different groups. You enjoy your online play and I will enjoy mine.
Chris
* actually it is not quite that easy. Software has to be down loaded and it has to be set up first on your computer plus you need a router (which I already had for my home LAN). But other than that it is really simple. :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have been playing Halo online since the second week after I bought my XBOX and it has not cost me a dime extra
But that's only one game. Future games will make it so you must have an account setup with XBL to play them online. The way you are playing Halo is also not an option for many people.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I have been playing Halo online since the second week after I bought my XBOX and it has not cost me a dime extra. Nor did I have to buy any "accessory" to get it to work. It worked right out of the box.* What was the last game you played online with your PS2?
The current 'hack' of Halo Online is hardly representative of XBox Live, is it?

Oh, and as Morgan says, THPS3 offered online PS2 gameplay last Christmas.

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
"Sony and Microsoft have chosen two different approaches to online play. Both approaches are valid for different reasons and each are marketed to different groups."

My entire point is that their approaches, in the end, don't seem so different. Either you pay for the hardware or you pay for the privilege. Either way, you pay.

And I hardly think Xbox is being marketed to a different group than PS2. They are both chiefly targeted at mainstream, predominantly male, game players between ages 13-34. Xbox might have, for the moment, been forced into a position of courting a more hardcore audience, but given the opportunity to become the "mass-market" machine, I hardly think Microsoft would pass it up.

"You enjoy your online play and I'll enjoy mine."

Hey, I'm not taking sides here. As I've already said, I own an Xbox and I've already pre-ordered the Communicator. I'm just bringing up a topic for discussion.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Either you pay for the hardware or you pay for the privilege. Either way, you pay
Only for the first year. X-Box you have to pay $50 a year or $10 a month (whichever it ends up being after the first year) whereas you just pay $40 once for the PS2. They are similar for the first year of use, but they are different after that.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
"(I note that Sony's PS2 network adapter is a best-seller at EBgames.com but the Xbox Live communicator is nowhere to be found on the Xbox best-seller list. Decidedly unscientific and probably means nothing, but I note it nonetheless.) "

Try doing the math detective, Sony has an install base many times larger, so of course they're going to be selling more online kits.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
That's not really fair, James. After all, the post you quoted mentions individual best seller lists for each system.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I completely forgot about THPS. Sorry :b

I still maintain XBOX owners do not have to buy any accessories nor do they have to buy into XBOX Live to play online. It works right now. It may be a "hack" but who really cares. Thousands of people are using it. And it is an option for anyone who has broad-band (if you do not have broad-band XBOX Live is not an option either). I am playing Halo online right now, free of charge. I expect this "hack" will work for NFL Fever which is being released this week and it will also work for NFL 2k3 being released the following week. (I personally only have one game that I can play online but I could also play MotoGP and THPS2 online if I owned them. It works with any game which has System Link).

Will XBOX Live be better? Yes, I am sure it will be and I will sign up for the first year at a whole $10 more than the PS2 modem/NIC. If I do not like it I do not have to continue paying the second year and can return to playing using a "hack".

This thread was started by Brandon who inferred you need "accessories" for both the XBOX and the PS2 for them to work online. That is completely incorrect.

Chris

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I never inferred that. Infact, I explicitly stated that one DIDN'T need the Xbox Communicator to go online.

I merely raised the point that for either solution, you're paying. I don't see how that makes a PS2 hardware add-on any different from an Xbox Live subscription, especially if the Communicator turns out to be crucial to gameplay -- as Microsoft has intimated.

As I've pointed out, I'm an Xbox owner and a future Live subscriber. All I wanted was an intelligent discussion on the issue. Some people (thanks Adam and Scott) have been willing and able to participate in one. But I've also gotten -- and I guess I should have expected this -- snide attacks from people who apparently have no ability to think critically about their beloved box.

I'd like to request that the moderator close this thread before it goes even further downhill. I'm tired of trying to discuss issues like this in the forum.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I still maintain XBOX owners do not have to buy any accessories nor do they have to buy into XBOX Live to play online. It works right now
But that is through a process that all future online games won't work, plus it only works with current offline games.

AFAIK, future X-Box games that support system link will be able to go online through the "hack" but they won't support as many people as they could if they were played using the built-in online feature, which you NEED XBL to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks