What's new

Xbox HD Pack & Component Cables (1 Viewer)

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Regarding the component cables that come with the XB HD Pack, from what I have read these are unshielded but people haven't seemed to have complained about any problems using them. Just wanted to confirm if these did a pretty good job when hooked up to your respective displays.
I am running the XB & my GCN component signals through my processor and out to my TV. The TV -> Receiver connection is using fairly high quality Monster component cables, however I am just using the standard HD Pack component cables for the XB -> Receiver connection. I should be getting hold of the unit tommorrow and I was wondering if I would possibly have any trouble with interference etc., and if it would be wise to grab another set of component cables to replace the standard ones that came with the HD pack.
I did some digging of old threads but I just wanted to make sure :).
Thanks!

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Jehan;

I have a similar set up with my own system. I hooked up the component video cables from my GCN and Xbox into my Rotel 1066 pre-pro and run the signal back out to my Toshiba 42H81. Overall, the quality of the video using the stock cables with the HD pack looks pretty good. I certainly don't have any complaints about it. I will say that it does look a little bit better when I hook up one of my better component video cables to it. It's not a huge difference to my eyes, but I do think the picture gains some clarity and sharpness with the better cables.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jeffrey, what I was looking for.. I'll stick it out for a while and grab some cables when I can :)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I used the xbox cables at first, I didn't have anything that resembles sheilding problems but after a week I started occasionally losing some color, mostly blue. If I jiggled the cables at the TV, the problem was obvious, the connection was not good. I tried to compress the fins to make a better contact to no avail so I had to get new cables. Looking at the cabels that come with the HD pack, I would guess the cables are worth about $1.50 and the HD pack itself $18.49. I've never seen cables as cheap feeling.

Steve Iseman

Agent
I bought some component cables that were on sale at Sam Goody's for $9.99 (regular price was $24.99). They are much better quality than the ones that came with the Xbox HD pack. I had the same problem that Lee did, but after I switched cables it has been working fine.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Well after playing around with it this afternoon, I can confirm what you folks stated about the standard cables. I got a noticeable difference just using Monster Video 1 component cables over the stock ones. I have the XB connected directly to the TV using these and will buy another pair to send the signal through my processor.

On a side note, the image from the XB is the best I've seen from any console I've had running on my TV and 5.1 is certainly a unique experience. Good stuff! One thing that concerned me is that my unit was from Dec 01'!, must have been one that was sitting around a while - hopefully it runs fine for some time, I am considering getting the warranty through MS though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks