What's new

XBox 2 - May 12 - on MTV ? (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
And to think I was just going to buy another XBox for upstairs (I never use my PS2 up there). I guess I'll hold out -- if it's backwards compatible to the first one I'll just buy that instead. I wonder when release date will be.

Doug

Evan M

Second Unit
Speculation puts it around Thanksgiving-Christmas... but nothing official yet. I'm sure we'll be told at E3, if not on May 12.

Blu

Screenwriter
I wonder if Microsoft is working on a Xbox version of the PSP...makes me just kind of wonder!!!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't hold out on that. From what we've heard so far, the architechture is different enough that it makes back compatability difficult. Apparently they're working like hell to try to get it to work though. I suppose we'll see what happens on the 12th, but either way I think any back compatability will be emulated in some form or another.

Looking forward to seing this though-hopefully it'll be broadcast elsewhere here in Canada. If not, I don't think it'll be a problem to find things online...

Brian_Wh

Agent
Real Name
Brian
About the backward compatibility issue, in this IGN article they speculate based on some of their sources that the new system is likely to have backward compatibility if you buy an optional add on hard drive. But we won't know for sure until May 12th at the earliest or possibly E3 I suppose.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/595/595535p2.html

I just bought my Xbox late last November knowing that the new Xbox would probably be coming this year or next. I figured I would get plenty of usage out of the current one, which so far I have. Originally I was thinking I would wait 6 months to a year after launch to buy the Xbox 2 (or Xbox 360 or whatever it'll be called), but I may not be able to hold out once I see it on the shelves this fall!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Huh. I don't know if I like the white, though I had no problems with white for the Dreamcast. I would have forgotten about this if not for this thread :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Does Microsoft have an art department? IMO, the switch from convex (in the current Xbox) to concave panels do nothing to improve the aesthetics of their successor; neither does the change in colour scheme from metallic-silver to white (I wonder if the outer panels will begin to yellow if exposed to long periods of UV light?).

Either way, I'll be tuning in to MTV this Thursday to see what the Xbox 360 has to offer. With E3 set to commence only a few days later, I wonder if the 360 has enough to steal the spotlight from the PS3 (let's not forget Nintendo's own offering in the "Revolution").

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Full specs of the Xbox 360 have been leaked on Neowin.net. There are also 2 levels of Live subscriptions: Silver (available to everyone) and Gold (paid memberships). The following information is quoted from Neowinian on the Neowin forum (actual info came from a member on the Team Xbox forums):

No slouch by any stretch. ;)

On a separate note, details of Nintendo's console (codenamed "Revolution") are starting to trickle to the media. Memory firm MoSys Inc., a key supplier, have reported a possible 'mid-2006' release date for Nintendo's successor to the Gamecube. A Chinese website, Unika.com claims to have the actual specs of Nintendo's next-gen hardware: the console will include four 2.5Ghz IBM G5 custom cores, with 128KB of Level 1 cache and a 512KB shared Level 2 cache, while the graphics will be powered by a dual core ATI RN520 chipset, with 16MB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer. The full news article can be found here.

Sean*O

Second Unit
Regarding the ATI frame buffer for the new Nintendo system from the afore mentioned website;

"Update #1: Fixed article error - on-board eDRAM figure is 16MB, not 1MB."

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I revised my prior post to reflect this updated tidbit - thanks. I watched the MTV show (unfortunately), and I'll post a comment in the official 360 thread later today. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks