XBox 2 - May 12 - on MTV ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Evan M, Apr 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

2. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Cool! I can't wait to see the system in action.

Brion

3. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    And to think I was just going to buy another XBox for upstairs (I never use my PS2 up there). I guess I'll hold out -- if it's backwards compatible to the first one I'll just buy that instead. I wonder when release date will be.

Doug

4. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

Speculation puts it around Thanksgiving-Christmas... but nothing official yet. I'm sure we'll be told at E3, if not on May 12.

5. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I wonder if Microsoft is working on a Xbox version of the PSP...makes me just kind of wonder!!!

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I wouldn't hold out on that. From what we've heard so far, the architechture is different enough that it makes back compatability difficult. Apparently they're working like hell to try to get it to work though. I suppose we'll see what happens on the 12th, but either way I think any back compatability will be emulated in some form or another.

Looking forward to seing this though-hopefully it'll be broadcast elsewhere here in Canada. If not, I don't think it'll be a problem to find things online...

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Going to have make a reminder for that one. [​IMG]

8. Brian_Wh

Brian_Wh Agent

About the backward compatibility issue, in this IGN article they speculate based on some of their sources that the new system is likely to have backward compatibility if you buy an optional add on hard drive. But we won't know for sure until May 12th at the earliest or possibly E3 I suppose.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/595/595535p2.html

I just bought my Xbox late last November knowing that the new Xbox would probably be coming this year or next. I figured I would get plenty of usage out of the current one, which so far I have. Originally I was thinking I would wait 6 months to a year after launch to buy the Xbox 2 (or Xbox 360 or whatever it'll be called), but I may not be able to hold out once I see it on the shelves this fall!

9. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Huh. I don't know if I like the white, though I had no problems with white for the Dreamcast. I would have forgotten about this if not for this thread [​IMG]

11. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Does Microsoft have an art department? IMO, the switch from convex (in the current Xbox) to concave panels do nothing to improve the aesthetics of their successor; neither does the change in colour scheme from metallic-silver to white (I wonder if the outer panels will begin to yellow if exposed to long periods of UV light?).

Either way, I'll be tuning in to MTV this Thursday to see what the Xbox 360 has to offer. With E3 set to commence only a few days later, I wonder if the 360 has enough to steal the spotlight from the PS3 (let's not forget Nintendo's own offering in the "Revolution").

12. Ken Chui

Full specs of the Xbox 360 have been leaked on Neowin.net. There are also 2 levels of Live subscriptions: Silver (available to everyone) and Gold (paid memberships). The following information is quoted from Neowinian on the Neowin forum (actual info came from a member on the Team Xbox forums):

No slouch by any stretch. [​IMG]

On a separate note, details of Nintendo's console (codenamed "Revolution") are starting to trickle to the media. Memory firm MoSys Inc., a key supplier, have reported a possible 'mid-2006' release date for Nintendo's successor to the Gamecube. A Chinese website, Unika.com, claims to have the actual specs of Nintendo's next-gen hardware: the console will include four 2.5Ghz IBM G5 custom cores, with 128KB of Level 1 cache and a 512KB shared Level 2 cache, while the graphics will be powered by a dual core ATI RN520 chipset, with 16MB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer. The full news article can be found here.

13. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

That was the lamest show I've seen in awhile. About 2 minutes of actual Xbox stuff, the rest fluff and musical acts.

If want to see the actual xbox360 info video, what this:
    http://msxb.wmod.llnwd.net/a274/o2/o...ny_v1_750k.wmv

It is the final award for all you colony folks. X2 looks pretty impressive, now let's see what Sony has in their corner.

14. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

http://ourcolony.net now houses a video of an XBox360 rundown... not sure how it compares in content or style to the MTV special, as I have not seen taht yet... but just FYI.

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The special on TV sucked, don't bother with it.

16. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

Regarding the ATI frame buffer for the new Nintendo system from the afore mentioned website;

"Update #1: Fixed article error - on-board eDRAM figure is 16MB, not 1MB."

17. Ken Chui

I revised my prior post to reflect this updated tidbit - thanks. I watched the MTV show (unfortunately), and I'll post a comment in the official 360 thread later today. [​IMG]