What's new

WWE planning Chris Benoit DVD release (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
from PWInsider.com

Oh please let it include the Owen Hart tribute match, and while I'm at it how about his match with Kevin Sullivan from Great American Bash 1996?

I'm so there!!!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
For that matter, they should include some of the classic Benoit/Sullivan matches from Nitro on the DVD. The way they took it through the crowds, into the stands, and then into the toilets before finally heading back to the ring made for some of the most frentic, fast-paced matches ever. In one of them, which I recorded and put on my personal "Best of Nitro" VHS compilations, Sullivan rang Benoit's clock - literally! - with the ring bell.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I wonder if they'll include any (or all) of the matches in the "Best Of 7" Booker T. vs. Chris Benoit series of matches.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Well, match 4 is on the Monday Night War DVD, so if they do they can leave that one off. Thing is, a lot of those matches are very similar and while they're all good, its not like match 2 is more memorable than match 6 or anything like that, so I hope that they only include 1 of them if any.

Oh, and I forgot to do this, but I've got to thank Bill Williams for pointing this news out to me in the first place, you Da man Bill!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Trust me, Oscar, it's an excellent technical match from start to finish. It showcases Benoit and Hart at their best. I don't know if WWE Home Video has access to the missing footage to matches that home viewers don't see during commercial breaks, but I hope they have the complete unedited match preserved on DVD including the missing footage. When I did my transfer of the match for my personal "Best of Nitro" compilation tape, it came out to about 20 minutes with the commercials edited out, so I'm thinking the full match would run nearly 30 minutes in length.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
AWESOME!!!

Can't wait for the Crippler on DVD!! Let's hope they do it right.

I wouldn't mind seeing that Benoit & Malenko Cage match for the Tag titles from Nitro also (I think it was against Raven and Saturn) where Beniot did the head butt off the tope of the cage.

This has potential to be awesome because they also have the ECW footage of him. Remember that nasty fall Sabu had with Benoit where he broke his neck ... OUCH!!

Now bring on an Eddie DVD and Jericho DVD (oh yeah get that friggin' Kurt Angle disc out there too)

Greg

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
There are so many great Benoit matches from ECW/WCW/WWE that they could easily make this a 2 disc set without much thought. I'd also like to see the Benoit/Dean Malenko vs. Raven and Perry Saturn tag title match from Spring Stampede 1999 a terrific show IMO.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
He was awesome even back in the ol' Stampede Wrestling days. Had great fun watching him, and it's so good to see him finally getting a push in the WWE.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Yeah! Show how he got the nick-name The Crippler.

I'll get this the day it's out. And I'll add that Benoit/Bret was just a phenomenal match.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

The tribute match - absolutely stellar! Their second go-around, however, got a bit on the nastier side, if I recall correctly. It was some time after the tribute match, a matter of weeks or a couple of months afterwards, and Benoit was the heel in the match.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Bill, the match you are referencing probably was the match from WCW Mayhem. Although I don't think I'd call Benoit the heel because it was in Canada and the fans cheered both guys. If that's not the match then I don't recall, of course I don't see it as being all that nasty, I think its not as good as the other but its not awful and its still a sporting encounter.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
From 411mania.com here are the details of the Chris Benoit DVD:

FULL TWO DISC DVD DETAILS
This two disc DVD set goes through the amazing career of Chris Benoit. Included is footage of his days with New Japan, ECW, WCW, WWE, and more! Benoit is considered one of the best technical wrestlers of all time! Witness many of his best matches, as well as his dramatic neck injury, his inspirational comeback, and his rise to become World Heavyweight Champion!

Chapters:

1. The Early Years

2. New Japan

3. ECW

4. WCW

5. WWE

6. The Injury

7. The Comeback

8. Royal Rumble 2003

9. Wrestlemania XX

Extras/Matches:

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
Pegasus Kid vs. Jushin Liger
Tokyo, Japan - 08.19.90
Alternate Commentary: 1. Michael Cole & Tazz. 2. Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko & Todd Grisham

Chris Benoit vs. Too Cold Scorpio
WCW Superbrawl 04.21.93

Wild Pegasus Chris Benoit vs. Black Tiger
Super J Cup Tournament Round 2 - Tokyo, Japan - 04.16.94
Alternate Commentary: 1. Michael Cole & Tazz. 2. Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko & Todd Grisham

Wild Pegasus Chris Benoit vs. Great Sasuke
Super J Cup Tournament Final - Tokyo, Japan - 04.16.94

Chris Benoit vs. Sabu
ECW November 2 Remember 11.16.95

Chris Benoit vs. Al Snow
ECW Double Tables 02.04.95

Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero
WCW Monday Nitro 10.16.95

Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan
WCW Great American Bash 06.16.96

Best of Seven Finals
Chris Benoit vs. Booker T
Great American Bash 06.14.98

Owen Hart Tribute Match
Chris Benoit vs. Bret Hart
WCW Monday Nitro 10.04.99

World Heavyweight Championship Match
Chris Benoit vs. Sid Vicious
WCW Souled Out 01.16.00

Chris Benoit vs. William Regal
Brian Pillman Tribute Show 05.26.00

Steel Cage Match
Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle
WWE Raw 06.11.01

WWE Championship Match
Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle
WWE Royal Rumble 01.19.03

World Heavyweight Championship Match
Chris Benoit vs. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels
WWE Wrestlemania XX 03.14.04

The Neck Injury
WWE Raw 07.02.01

Crossface Collection
WWE Confidential 01.24.04

Raw Magazine Cover Shoot
WWE Confidential 04.03.04

Looks like this set will rock!

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
With an awesome collection like this, I hope they put in some great little bonus Easter egg extras in here for the Benoit fan in all of us!

BTW, I was in Wal-Mart last week and saw a WWE DVD with Benoit on the cover (I forget the title, I'm thinking it was one of the most recent PPVs), but for a moment it completely fooled me into thinking that it was the 2-disc Benoit set. I was thisclose to getting it!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Deep Discount currently has the best price I've seen, something like $16.?? for the set.

I'll definitely get that of course you all knew that anyway.

TedT

Second Unit

Bret was just on the wrestling observer radio show last night. Said he's meeting with Shane (McMahon sp) about it today just to talk.

He said it all depends on how the Montreal incident is portrayed. If they are willing to portray the truth (Bret's side), he'll most likely do it. If not, then he won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks