What's new

WTH happened to my 41? (1 Viewer)

Scott*CB

Grip
I came home and turned on my new VSX-41 and watched The Simpsons off the Tivo. The sound was harsh and distorted at fairly low levels (-50). I wasn't sure if this was the DefTech ProCinemas breaking in or what so I put in Gladiator to see what would happen. During the dts intro at about -45 the sound cut out, the receiver flashed OVERLOAD a few times and shut down. I left it off for a few minutes and now it seems back to normal but I'm wondering what happened.

I have it wired to the ProSub via high-level with the LFE input. Fronts are off the sub. The setup is FL-CS-SS with sub on. The receiver is in an open well ventilated area. So what's the problem or is this just an anomaly?

BTW- When it's working this combo is incredible!!

Scott*CB

Grip
OK, there's always a simple answer. A loose wire on the speaker post was causing the short. That fixed, all is well with the world again. The Pioneer is rocking hard and if the Def Techs need to break in I can't imagine how good they are going to be.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I had almost this exact same problem with my VSX-D811S (Basically the same as the VSX-41). It turns out that when I was making speaker cable out of cat 5, using half of the wires for negative and the other half for positive, I switched one of the pairs which caused the receiver to go into overload at anything but low volumes.
Speaking with pioneer on the phone (Before I found out about the wiring problem), they said that there are only 2 things that really ever cause ther receiver to go into overload. Either You are using low-ohm speakers or the power transformer inside is broken. In our cases we were basically using "0 ohm" speakers ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks