What's new

Would you allow this company to repair your TV? (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One of my TVs needs servicing, and this is who Geek Squad wants to send to my house (there are no Geek Squad agents in my immediate area).
Harion-TV-Ctr.jpg

On Yelp, this guy has managed to get a 1-star rating! Worse, he claims to be an official Sony authorized warranty repair center. Except Sony has never heard of this company. Something is fishy...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm no expert, but I think that 1 star rating might be generous. If it were me, I'd be seeking alternatives outside of the Geek Squad's recommendation. Good luck!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm no expert, but I think that 1 star rating might be generous. If it were me, I'd be seeking alternatives outside of the Geek Squad's recommendation. Good luck!
Unfortunately, this is the only service center in my area. Worse, since the TV is still under the 5-year Geek Squad protection, I am pretty much being forced to use this guy or pay for repairs out of my own pocket. I am trying to appeal to the manager of my nearest Best Buy store to see if I can't just bring the TV in to the store for an exchange (it's a 4-year old 55-inch).

My conversation with the owner of this establishment gave me a really bad vibe.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Unfortunately, this is the only service center in my area. Worse, since the TV is still under the 5-year Geek Squad protection, I am pretty much being forced to use this guy or pay for repairs out of my own pocket. I am trying to appeal to the manager of my nearest Best Buy store to see if I can't just bring the TV in to the store for an exchange (it's a 4-year old 55-inch).

My conversation with the owner of this establishment gave me a really bad vibe.
An exchange appears to be your best hope. Best Buy should be accommodating you, as nobody should have to be stuck with using a 1 star rinky dink operation to do in-warranty repair. That's just bullsh*t. You also shouldn't have to pay out of pocket, as that is what extended warranties are supposed to be for.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Per Best Buy, none of my complaints have any bearing on my claim.

So, I guess I'm having to give this guy a chance. We shall see.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Depends on your definition of "repair." These days, especially with TVs, it means replacing an entire board if it's still available. Few shops, if any, do board level repairs any more on most consumer grade electronics.

At most, they'll probably just fix a power supply problem.

Nowadays even if the power supply goes kaput, I'll just buy a new tv instead.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Since Best Buy cannot provide quality service for a service contract you bought from them, they should really refund you the price of the extended warranty. If not, I would let them know you will never buy another warranty from them.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Since Best Buy cannot provide quality service for a service contract you bought from them, they should really refund you the price of the extended warranty. If not, I would let them know you will never buy another warranty from them.
Basically, since there is only one year left, it would not be that much money to refund to me.

So, Hariom TV Center is coming out one week from today to diagnose. I've checked with others in my town that have used this guy over the years, and quite a few claimed that he was unable to repair their TV (although he felt that he did). Those were either manufacturer warranty issues or non-warranty issues, and most ended up just throwing the TV out and purchasing a new one (what Sam was eluding to above) rather than complain any further.

The good news or silver lining for me is that if he makes two successive repairs and is unable to resolve the issue, Best Buy then has no option but to issue store credit to me for the purchase price of the TV once it is returned, allowing me to purchase a newer model.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It sounds like they’re gonna make you jump through the hoops before they make you whole. It sounds bloody obnoxious, sorry that you have to deal with it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It sounds like they’re gonna make you jump through the hoops before they make you whole. It sounds bloody obnoxious, sorry that you have to deal with it.
I was really hoping that it would be as easy as the last time I had to use my Extended Warranty on a TV. Last time, I just called, described the issue, the tech on the phone confirmed that the part needed to fix the issue I had described was no longer available, and they approved the exchange right then and there. This time, they are putting me through the paces. It just bothers me that this guy is likely in way over his head but Best Buy won't cut him loose because there is no one else to replace him. They also probably haven't heard enough complaints about him, if the people in my town that have used him (and didn't complain) is any indication. That is how people are in Hawthorne, though. They love to complain on Facebook about their horrible Spectrum internet service that keeps going out, but very few if any ever actually call to report the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks