Would eliminating sound cut cost of tv much?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hal_J, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

someone mentioned this in an earlier thread, and i find mysely saying this quite often in the store. someone says, "rptv speakers" and i think/say, "nuke em. i dont want them, theyre ugly. i wish it was just a display, i'll run the audio through my receiver."

which leads to my question - how much of the cost is the sound system? im guessing not much. the crt in these tvs sits low and points up, right? so the tv wouldnt be smaller.

does anyone have firm numbers for this?

thanks,

hal

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The question is ... what will it cost the manufacturer to change its assembly line procedure to accommodate the 1% of people who do not want speakers?

Your TV cost will likely go up.

Regards

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Believe it or not I have been writing to tv companies for years asking them to make a set without audio amps, speakers & even tuners to no avail. I even told them why not make a set that din't have either of these but they could be bought as add on options. Open the hinged speaker grills & pop in the speakers. But the big reason I always wanted a set like that was not for cost but just that it would make the sets smaller in size. Well after no luck I ended up buying a 32 inch Pro Sony Monitor.