What's new

Would eliminating sound cut cost of tv much? (1 Viewer)

Hal_J

Agent
someone mentioned this in an earlier thread, and i find mysely saying this quite often in the store. someone says, "rptv speakers" and i think/say, "nuke em. i dont want them, theyre ugly. i wish it was just a display, i'll run the audio through my receiver."

which leads to my question - how much of the cost is the sound system? im guessing not much. the crt in these tvs sits low and points up, right? so the tv wouldnt be smaller.

does anyone have firm numbers for this?

thanks,

hal

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The question is ... what will it cost the manufacturer to change its assembly line procedure to accommodate the 1% of people who do not want speakers?

Your TV cost will likely go up.

Regards

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Your TV cost will likely go up.
If you remove the adverb, Michael, I agree completely. This is pretty much like getting a car more cheaply if you don’t want a radio. That went away back in the 50s.

This is not to say that there are not some specialized products that don’t have sound systems. Some may exist, but I expect that they will be top-end, niche products in any case.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Believe it or not I have been writing to tv companies for years asking them to make a set without audio amps, speakers & even tuners to no avail. I even told them why not make a set that din't have either of these but they could be bought as add on options. Open the hinged speaker grills & pop in the speakers. But the big reason I always wanted a set like that was not for cost but just that it would make the sets smaller in size. Well after no luck I ended up buying a 32 inch Pro Sony Monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks