What's new

Woodworking show tomorrow - what's hot in the tool world? (1 Viewer)

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Bob, you could buy a shop vac if you felt like wasting money, but chances are it will just sit there collecting dust. :b
sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

Mac F

Agent
I went to the show when it was in Dallas in October. This was my third annual pilgramage. Be sure to check out the various offerings from Woodpeckers.
There was one vendor witha small booth. He was selling a new type of adhesive, that would glue even rubber to glass. He said it would glue Teflon, but didn't have a demo. I bought a kit ($40), I haven't found a use for it yet, but find it comforting to know that it exists.
I also bought a Leigh jig for dovetails. Within a month, Norm was explaining how to use it.
I heard one of the other visitors sum it up "This is one hell of a toy store."
The show tours the entire country, and is well worth the trip. See www.thewoodshows.com

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
There is a huge difference in a real dust collector and a shop vac. I used to use the shop vac but found a used Grizzley 1200cfm DC for $200 and snagged it. What a difference. The 4" hose has the volume you need to move the air. My dad just got the Jet 650cfm for about $200 and that works just as good. Plus a real DC is quieter, the screaming of the shop vac gets old very quick.
Amazon for tools? If you're looking for the best tool prices check out www.toolseeker.com Sometimes Amazon is good, sometimes they are very overpriced.
I usually end up getting them at www.tools-plus.com in CT (I work 1/2 mile from them) but toolseeker is great for mailorder.
I picked up the Leigh jig a couple years ago at the woodshow. It's great once you get used to it, and their service is top notch.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm baaack (and the bank account is lighter ;)). I bought this router lift mechanism: http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html I would rather have the Jointech version of the original Jessem RouterLifter, but my big router (Freud FT2000E) is a plunge router, and will not work with the regular lifters. Woodpeckers makes versions for plunge routers, so I went with it.
I also bought the Jointech SmartMiter: Link Removed ($199 show special!)
And, for something different, the Kreg Propack: http://www.kregtool.com/pocketholetools/k2000.htm $119 show price including an extra bit and video and two plans.
Also bought some clamps (you can never have too many clamps) at show prices from Woodcraft.
I am in the market for a drill press, but there was not even one on the show floor. I'm considering this one from Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...610389&DS_ID=1 Anyone have suggestions?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

How much was that router lifter? I think the Router Raizer was $119 at Woodcraft. BTW, the veneer Woodcraft is selling is $45 for a 2'x 8' sheets! OUCH!!!!!!!!

Brian

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Hank,

I have the Griz 1023 cabinet saw and been very happy with it. The only negative is I have been waiting for the 7' extention rails since Nov. If it is on backorder, buy a differ model or brand. I have told 3-6 weeks each month I have contacted them.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
The Router Raizer is $89 at Jesada and most other places. If it's $119 then someone's making a nice profit on it!

I recently read a review of the Shop Fox fence somewhere. Have you searched the newsgroups on google for other opinions on that one? Might be worth checking out before ordering. You can get a really nice Jet for $399 w/ shipping.

I got the Kreg special last year. Great kit but the vice grip isn't as good as it demos. I've had the 2 pieces seperate a bit or go at a slight angle greating a gap on one side. I mostly use my Bessey clamps to hold it tight while I drive in the screws. At least with longer pieces (>2') that's been my experience.

I missed the show this year which I think is good. I'm out of space! I really want to get the Performax drum sander but that's going to have to wait until the next house...

Sounds like you got some great stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks