Woodworking show tomorrow - what's hot in the tool world?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hank Frankenberg, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I'm going to the Woodworking Show in San Antonio tomorrow, checkbook in hand. I'm in the market for a drill press, but am open to any new shop items that may tickle my fancy. Anyone seen something new in power/hand tools or fixtures/jigs that a sawdust maker can't live without? [​IMG]

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,
    Since you're already "da man" as the youngsters would say, I can't imagine what other tools you would need! The drill presss would definitely be a good addition.
    Brian
    P.S. Nice to see you made it in to work today! How was your hot date with the blonde last night?[​IMG]

3. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

Hank> I've always wanted one of those European combination machines. If they have any set up tell me what you think of them. I have only seen pictures and never a real one. I know they are REAAALLLLY expensive but, I can dream.

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Don't know what goodies you have already....so here goes my latest purchases.
    Pnuematic blind pinner (Omer). Shoots 22? ga headless pins up to 1 1/2". Almost invisible hole.
    Structural hot polyurethane adhesive system. 3M [​IMG] has had a large commercial gun that goes for ~$500 that's been the industry standard. Another company came out with a much smaller system that goes for ~$100. The ease/speed of hot glue with the strength of epoxy.
    Pete

5. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Have you seen the new blade protection system for table saws? It has a brake the engages the blade if your fingers touch the blade. I read about it, where the guy was holding a hot dog, and touched the blade with the hot dog and the blade stopped, and a slight cut in the hot dog. If I could find one, I would buy it.

James "wants to keep all ten' Mudler

6. Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson Stunt Coordinator

7. Hank Frankenberg

Brian - keep up the encouragement, kid!
    Kerry - I've been to two of these shows and haven't seen anyone with one of those kilobuck European combo machines. I think they're just too expensive to get any sales from these shows - the attendees tend to be mostly hobbist woodworkers and a few one-man shops from what I've observed. Yes, those machines are the stuff dreams are made of.
    Pete - good move on the pinner. I bought an 18 - guage brad nailer last year. They are both good for holding panels in place while the glue dries. If I were into volume production, I would get a hot glue setup. I've seen those demoed here at our customer center, and they are great for a pro shop (thanks for the plug [​IMG]).
    James- wow! Given the laws of physics, it's hard to believe there's a system to instantly stop a table saw blade - I'll look for it.
    An item I want to look at is Jointech's Smart Miter: http://www.jointech.com/smart_miter.htm (maybe there will be a special show price). Good company, good products - I have their SmartFence and Clincher fence machine.
    Also, since my table-mounted router is a Freud FT2000E, I want to look at Woodpecker's plunge router raising mechanism: http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html
    And who knows what else [​IMG]

8. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

The two most invaluable tools I have are my drill press(with fortnser bits) and a random orbit sander.

I had a regualar palm sander before, it pales in comparison to the random orbit. Definately a recommended purchase.

Recomendation of course based on you not already having one.

Have fun at the show, I wish we had something like that here.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I heard about a saw blade that would stop when it touches skin. I heard about it though someone when I was a kid. Although it was used to cut a cast off someone when they break their arm/leg? I never had a cast before but that's what I heard when my friends had them in elementary school. Didn't know if it was true or not. I guess they fond a way to apply that to wood cutting.

10. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I picked the Router Raizer at last years show. It was $10 off the regular internet price of $89. Works great in my table and it also works if you take it out of the table.

Let us know what you get!

11. Hank Frankenberg

FYI, here's the show calendar: http://www.thewoodshows.com/calendar.asp
    Jim - I agree with your sander pick - love my PC RO sander.
    Rob - I saw a Router Raizer ad - I'll see if it's at the show. Well, my checkbook is calling - I'm outta here!

12. James Mudler

Holy cow they now have a web site. It is called sawstop. If I remember the article said $300-500 to add the saw stop. I am going to give them a call.
    http://www.sawstop.com/video.htm

13. James Mudler

Bad news. Can not be added to existing saws. After speaking with them, manufactures are not embrasing it because of the cost of retooling. Stopsaw will be retrofitting a Powermatic 66 and selling them. It will add about %10-20 to the total cost. This blows.

14. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bob,
    How about something like this.
    Brian

16. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Anyone who goes to these shows should know the tool prices beforehand. There are _some_ deals, but most of the prices can be beaten by purchasing on Amazon. Your best bet is to purchase their floor demo model at the end of the show. (that's how I got my drill press) You can also usually get good deals on router bits and other odds & ends.

One item that is a huge help in enclosure building is a biscuit (plate) joiner. This is a quick way to make self aligning joints...

17. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

heya bob,

Sears Item #00917792000. i have this and it works great. and on sale till the 18th. just get add as many their 2 1/4"(?) valve gates as you need or the dust collection kits they have. it also doubles as a blower. its all the power you should need unless you have a really big shop. i have a router table, chop saw, drill press, belt/disk sander and table saw attached to it.

18. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

och,
    jst tred ot tht devce tht stops the tabe saw bade. ddnt wrk very gud as yu can see. [​IMG]

19. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Brian and Jeff! I'm just a little bit worried about buying any Craftsman power tools, even if it is just a dust collector. I have successfully killed every Craftsman power tool I have ever owned, but if you guys really think it's a good idea, I just might give it a try.

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Bob,
    Also check out Penn State Industrial (www.pennstateind.com). They have several dust collection devices. My dad bought a Delta from Lowe's. I can't remember if it was $200 or $300.
    Brian