What's new

Woodworking show tomorrow - what's hot in the tool world? (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to the Woodworking Show in San Antonio tomorrow, checkbook in hand. I'm in the market for a drill press, but am open to any new shop items that may tickle my fancy. Anyone seen something new in power/hand tools or fixtures/jigs that a sawdust maker can't live without? :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,
Since you're already "da man" as the youngsters would say, I can't imagine what other tools you would need! The drill presss would definitely be a good addition.
Brian
P.S. Nice to see you made it in to work today! How was your hot date with the blonde last night?;)

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Hank> I've always wanted one of those European combination machines. If they have any set up tell me what you think of them. I have only seen pictures and never a real one. I know they are REAAALLLLY expensive but, I can dream.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Don't know what goodies you have already....so here goes my latest purchases.
Pnuematic blind pinner (Omer). Shoots 22? ga headless pins up to 1 1/2". Almost invisible hole.
Structural hot polyurethane adhesive system. 3M ;) has had a large commercial gun that goes for ~$500 that's been the industry standard. Another company came out with a much smaller system that goes for ~$100. The ease/speed of hot glue with the strength of epoxy.
Pete

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Have you seen the new blade protection system for table saws? It has a brake the engages the blade if your fingers touch the blade. I read about it, where the guy was holding a hot dog, and touched the blade with the hot dog and the blade stopped, and a slight cut in the hot dog. If I could find one, I would buy it.

James "wants to keep all ten' Mudler

Steve Peterson

Stunt Coordinator
It has a brake the engages the blade if your fingers touch the blade.
Wha? How in the world did they develop a system that will do that? If you know of a link for that, I'd like to read up on it.

Steve "Never loose that healthy fear of the table saw." Peterson

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian - keep up the encouragement, kid!
Kerry - I've been to two of these shows and haven't seen anyone with one of those kilobuck European combo machines. I think they're just too expensive to get any sales from these shows - the attendees tend to be mostly hobbist woodworkers and a few one-man shops from what I've observed. Yes, those machines are the stuff dreams are made of.
Pete - good move on the pinner. I bought an 18 - guage brad nailer last year. They are both good for holding panels in place while the glue dries. If I were into volume production, I would get a hot glue setup. I've seen those demoed here at our customer center, and they are great for a pro shop (thanks for the plug ;)).
James- wow! Given the laws of physics, it's hard to believe there's a system to instantly stop a table saw blade - I'll look for it.
An item I want to look at is Jointech's Smart Miter: Link Removed (maybe there will be a special show price). Good company, good products - I have their SmartFence and Clincher fence machine.
Also, since my table-mounted router is a Freud FT2000E, I want to look at Woodpecker's plunge router raising mechanism: http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html
And who knows what else ;)

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
The two most invaluable tools I have are my drill press(with fortnser bits) and a random orbit sander.

I had a regualar palm sander before, it pales in comparison to the random orbit. Definately a recommended purchase.

Recomendation of course based on you not already having one.

Have fun at the show, I wish we had something like that here.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I heard about a saw blade that would stop when it touches skin. I heard about it though someone when I was a kid. Although it was used to cut a cast off someone when they break their arm/leg? I never had a cast before but that's what I heard when my friends had them in elementary school. Didn't know if it was true or not. I guess they fond a way to apply that to wood cutting.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I picked the Router Raizer at last years show. It was $10 off the regular internet price of $89. Works great in my table and it also works if you take it out of the table.

Let us know what you get!

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Bad news. Can not be added to existing saws. After speaking with them, manufactures are not embrasing it because of the cost of retooling. Stopsaw will be retrofitting a Powermatic 66 and selling them. It will add about %10-20 to the total cost. This blows.

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
I read about it, where the guy was holding a hot dog, and touched the blade with the hot dog and the blade stopped, and a slight cut in the hot dog.
This just won't work for me. I use my table saw to cut weiners all the time. :)
While we're talking about tools, now that I have some quality power tools, and most of them have a connection for a vac hose, can someone recommend a shop vac that can double as a dust collection system?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Anyone who goes to these shows should know the tool prices beforehand. There are _some_ deals, but most of the prices can be beaten by purchasing on Amazon. Your best bet is to purchase their floor demo model at the end of the show. (that's how I got my drill press) You can also usually get good deals on router bits and other odds & ends.

One item that is a huge help in enclosure building is a biscuit (plate) joiner. This is a quick way to make self aligning joints...

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
heya bob,

Sears Item #00917792000. i have this and it works great. and on sale till the 18th. just get add as many their 2 1/4"(?) valve gates as you need or the dust collection kits they have. it also doubles as a blower. its all the power you should need unless you have a really big shop. i have a router table, chop saw, drill press, belt/disk sander and table saw attached to it.

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian and Jeff! I'm just a little bit worried about buying any Craftsman power tools, even if it is just a dust collector. I have successfully killed every Craftsman power tool I have ever owned, but if you guys really think it's a good idea, I just might give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks