What's new

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109) (2 Viewers)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I ended up doing the SHOUT factory pre-order myself. Another gentleman on this forum did the same some time back. He knows a lot more about the show regarding music changes etc.

I took a gamble and did the pre-order because I feel like this is going to be it for the series. I know many don't like to support a release being in the dark like this and I understand. I just wish SHOUT was more forthcoming with information. Previously it seemed almost like a good thing the later they waited but now with 2 weeks for the Shout early release there is no way they don't know. The fact they are withholding now just seems more negative then positive. (the more I think about it maybe I should cancel my pre-order with them hmmmm)

HenryDuBrow said:

kitt1987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I don't really see any reason to be negative so far about Shout "withholding" information from this release. I'm as anxious as the next person to see how this pans out but given the nature of this release we just have to be patient. Shout can more or less hold off releasing any information for another few days as I'm sure they'll want to have all negotiations complete before any info is official. Just as we're aware that the "early release" is coming up in a couple weeks, I'm sure the number of orders they'll be required to fill and have complete is much, much less than by the official release date in Oct. I appreciate those that put their pre-orders in early from Shout, I'm happy waiting through October by getting mine through Amazon. Doesn't make me any less of a fan than anyone else, I was an immediate fan of this show back during its original showing and enjoyed the syndicated reruns throughout the 80s.
Let's all just again stay positive and appreciate the fact that a studio picked this series up for as complete a release as possible given the crazy copyright laws and greed of the music industry will allow.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
kitt1987 said:
I don't really see any reason to be negative so far about Shout "withholding" information from this release. I'm as anxious as the next person to see how this pans out but given the nature of this release we just have to be patient. Shout can more or less hold off releasing any information for another few days as I'm sure they'll want to have all negotiations complete before any info is official. Just as we're aware that the "early release" is coming up in a couple weeks, I'm sure the number of orders they'll be required to fill and have complete is much, much less than by the official release date in Oct. I appreciate those that put their pre-orders in early from Shout, I'm happy waiting through October by getting mine through Amazon. Doesn't make me any less of a fan than anyone else, I was an immediate fan of this show back during its original showing and enjoyed the syndicated reruns throughout the 80s.
Let's all just again stay positive and appreciate the fact that a studio picked this series up for as complete a release as possible given the crazy copyright laws and greed of the music industry will allow.
Fair enough, but when Shout finalizes the set, I think that they would be wise to come out and level with people about exactly what was done regarding music in each of the episodes like TimeLife did with Wonder years. That gets all of the bad news out in one burst, and saves, "I found something else . . . " posts.

Chareth

Agent
Real Name
Jack
Ah, sorry about that. Well, great - 85% and maybe more is significantly better. I love Shout's persistence.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I expect we'll hear something soon. With a 5 week early pre-released shipment date directly from the company, I suspect Shout will want to manage the message surrounding the music so it's "look at all we got in there" as opposed to "this or that song is missing!" which will be plastered all over Amazon reviews, forums, etc. The message they keep giving on Twitter is that an announcement is imminent. I would hope that they take a page from Time Life's play book as it seems that the response to their announcement re music clearances has been very positive. I've seen little if any griping about missing Doors music or others. I still think we will be pleasantly surprised by Shout on this one.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I'll start by saying that of course I wish 100% of the music was included in this set but I'd honestly probably still buy it if more like 50% of the music was intact. Then I would watch the set and decide whether I wanted to keep it. I haven't seen this show since watching it when it was first run and I highly doubt anyone else would try to put this out again so I have to at least give it a shot!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Maybe the facts surrounding this set are so good, they think it'll sell out in minutes if they announced early it was completely or near uncut so they'd rather wait and say nothing rather than risk no stock...or is that just too weird a publicity approach? In any case, we'll know pretty soon. One thing's for sure, I think most fans wouldn't mind a postponed release even at this time if it meant better deals after all just a few months ago nobody really expected a release now.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
HenryDuBrow said:
Maybe the facts surrounding this set are so good, they think it'll sell out in minutes if they announced early it was completely or near uncut so they'd rather wait and say nothing rather than risk no stock...or is that just too weird a publicity approach? In any case, we'll know pretty soon. One thing's for sure, I think most fans wouldn't mind a postponed release even at this time if it meant better deals after all just a few months ago nobody really expected a release now.
No, it if was 100% uncut (or nearly so), you can bet they would have announced it by now, as that could do nothing but increase orders, as well as demand and buzz/word of mouth.

I'm sure Shout! would love for this release to sell-out and be "out of stock". That would mean going back to make more (or increase the production run if it's not been entirely replicated already).

kitt1987

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I'm pretty certain once the set is finalized Shout will definitely have an announcement to make about it. I'll be suprised if we don't hear something by the end of next week.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This set will more than likely be shipping out by end of next week since Shout's early shipping is for 9/23 (usually they ship their stuff early if they have the stock) That is why I can't imagine why they are delaying the news. Maybe someone is compiling a listing for the songs maybe?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
MATT - Any idea how long ago you did you pre-order? I just did mine last weekend. But according to Shouts FAQ page on STORE ordering they pre-auth your card when you do the pre-order but don't charge your card until your order drops to ship to WHSE. So sounds like your box set is going to start shipping! Let us know if you get a email that your order shipped. :)

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
I preordered back in July. I checked my account as I read on another site that someone else who preordered was charged as well. Will update when it ships.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have a pending charge from Shout as well for WKRP. So, it looks like the sets are going to start shipping soon.

~sigh~ I guess any news about the content will have to come from us. It looks like Shout is going to keep quiet. I feel that that is a poor decision and I'm not very comfortable with that.

Oh well, looks like we'll know soon enough.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
HenryDuBrow said:
For whatever reason, they're being a lot more vocal promoting Welcome Back, Kotter...
Well, you have to remember, the wide street date for Kotter was just a couple weeks ago, and WKRP isn't due out for a month and a half.At this point, though, I'm expecting this to be a buy it dirt cheap or not at all set.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Brian Himes said:
~sigh~ I guess any news about the content will have to come from us. It looks like Shout is going to keep quiet. I feel that that is a poor decision and I'm not very comfortable with that. Oh well, looks like we'll know soon enough.
It's a lost marketing opportunity. I've seen mainstream media coverage about DVD sets like
Wonder Years when they announced the music list. There is only downside for sales by not
saying anything before the set ships.

Their sales dept should be mad at whoever it was at Shout! that let this project get this close
to release without any announcement about the details of the music.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
HenryDuBrow said:
For whatever reason, they're being a lot more vocal promoting Welcome Back, Kotter...
Probably because there is far less music issues with music with Welcome Back, Kotter. I can't recall much of any, really. Of course, it's been probably 10 years or more since I've seen the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks