What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109) (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Frank Soyke said:
Well Jimmy, while I must eat a certain amount of crow due to the releases of Wonder Years, Batman, and WKRP, I still highly disagree on your thought that "everything will eventually be released" that you have voiced multiple times on this forum. These shows are one thing but releases of most one season shows from the 60's, 70's and 80's are just not going to happen. While I am very happy to have been wrong on these three, I still contend that a majority of shows not already released from the 50's-80's are not forthcoming.
Short answer to your question - By a glimmer? Yes. But a miniscule glimmer. Good job on these though!!!
I'm right there with you Frank. While I am holding out a miniscule hope that the WKRP release will be all that we have hoped for, I will probably will still be one of the nattering naybobs of negativeism about this show and Shout's ability to pull it off. Until the release has been scrutinized scene by scene, season by season to assess what the real damage is I'm going to stay firmly in the 'I'll wait and see' camp. Hopeful, but not expecting a miracle.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hoodlum Rock was recently broadcast on Antenna TV. I did not compare it to the ill-fated season 1 DVD set yet, I couldn't tell if any music was cut. But it did reminds me, the songs that Scum of The Earth sang seemed original. So it made me think about the Hoyt Axton appearance where he sings his song on the show. The DVD does have it intact. The Scum of the Earth songs were written for the show, so rights would belong to the show I assume. The Hoyt Axton example I'm not so sure of. But it obviously was cleared for the DVD. "You got the knife, I got the gun..."

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i'll settle for a glimmer, at the moment.

i wont be surprised though when it becomes bigger than a glimmer !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi frank,

just a note of clarification.

i have made specific statements about quite a few shows that will come out.

i am not backing off of any show that i have stated.

but i know very little about any shows in the 80s, and so-so about some of the 70s.

i also do not necessarily think that every show of the 60s will be out, especially if it only lasted one season.

but i did give my yes on death valley days, before the announcement, for example.

a good show is a good show - those will eventually come out.

to me, the wonder years was an absolute no-brainer. i did not care about music rights issues.

those would be solved, such that the show would be out. that is way too good of a show to simply sit in the vaults until it rots.

i have already stated several times that if you wanna start a thread, i will give you a yes, no, or i dont know on any show you wanna mention.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
If Shout can pull this off, surely they can finally get Rhoda S5 (small potatoes compared to this)????? More MTM productions like Phyllis and St. Elsewhere (so we can finally lay to rest whether the finale has been permanently censored, and cause the show is awesome of course...)??????

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
On Antenna TV, which Americanization of Ivan (one of the most infamous episodes to lose a lot in music Bowdlerising) do they show?

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DaveHof2 said:
There's a piece about it at Ksite TV that quotes Hugh Wilson as saying the music is at about 85% original for the new DVD set - but negotiations may still be ongoing.
I really can't trust anything he says after the first season fiasco.

If you will recall, before that was released, he was saying that things would be fine with the season 1 set and and that Fox did a good job, and then the damn thing was butchered like a Christmas hog.

So, the wait continues.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
The Obsolete Man said:
I really can't trust anything he says after the first season fiasco.

If you will recall, before that was released, he was saying that things would be fine with the season 1 set and and that Fox did a good job, and then the damn thing was butchered like a Christmas hog.

So, the wait continues.
And have you read the Sitcoms Online review? Hugh Wilson had the audacity, the nerve, to say that the replaced music in "Turkey's Away" was better than the original.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/wkrpincincinnatiseason1dvdreview.html

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
JoeDoakes said:
They apparently just had a big WKRP cast reunion at the Paley Center. Hopefully, some of it will make it as an extra on the SHOUT! set. Didn't see Gary Sandy though.
For me, I say forget the bonus features and use that time and money to secure more of the music rights so the series isn't quite so butchered when it comes out.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
DaveHof2 said:
There's a piece about it at Ksite TV that quotes Hugh Wilson as saying the music is at about 85% original for the new DVD set - but negotiations may still be ongoing.
I certainly hope negotiations are still gong on. 85% cleared isn't nearly good enough. It needs to be in the upper 90% (meaning at 95% or above) before I will consider buying it.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
JoeDoakes said:
They apparently just had a big WKRP cast reunion at the Paley Center. Hopefully, some of it will make it as an extra on the SHOUT! set. Didn't see Gary Sandy though. https://tv.yahoo.com/photos/wkrp-in-cincinnati-reunion-1401986283-slideshow/
They had one in the early 90's with everyone in attendance. (except Hugh Wilson.) It was videotaped... I asked a question about music replacements. Hopefully that one will surface. Jan Smithers was questionable because it was around the time Brolin left her for Streisand, but she made it.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Brian Himes said:
I certainly hope negotiations are still gong on. 85% cleared isn't nearly good enough. It needs to be in the upper 90% (meaning at 95% or above) before I will consider buying it.
I understand where you're coming from and hope even more music is cleared however, when you look at the math, WKRP ran for 90 episodes and if you average 2 songs per (probably closer to 3), that 180 songs and 85% is 153 so that's not too bad. If it's 3 per, that would be 230 out of 270 songs cleared. For me, it would be disappointing if we were still missing Pink Floyd's Dogs and Foreigner's Hot Blooded or Elton John's Tiny Dancer, as I consider these essential to the plot...and there are others like this. Hopefully Shout can save these.
Here's a question for you those with knowledge on the subject: could Shout reuse a song it had cleared elsewhere in the series. That is to say, if they clear Hot Blooded for "A Date With Jennifer," can they substitute that for another song in a different episode or do contracts typically dictate the number of times the individual song is used? My point being is that I'd rather them use vintage music they cleared as substitutions instead of awful soundalike recordings.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Matt.Koz said:
when you look at the math, WKRP ran for 90 episodes and if you average 2 songs per (probably closer to 3), that 180 songs and 85% is 153 so that's not too bad. If it's 3 per, that would be 230 out of 270 songs cleared.

For me, it would be disappointing if we were still missing Pink Floyd's Dogs and Foreigner's Hot Blooded or Elton John's Tiny Dancer, as I consider these essential to the plot...and there are others like this.

My point being is that I'd rather them use vintage music they cleared as substitutions instead of awful soundalike recordings.
Missing 30-40 songs uncleared is way too many for me, that's a huge hole in the authenticity of the show.
Obviously it would be most disappointing if high profile music is missing that is integral to the stories,
that would be unacceptable. I agree, minor replacements with vintage rather than generic substitutions
could be acceptable in some cases, but I really wonder what would cause them the inability to secure
the rights to prevent them from using the original music, not money. Pay what they have to, and price the
set accordingly.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
How many songs did you guys think wouldn't make it? It'd be nice if everything was on there but I think it's a near miracle if (and that's certainly the keyword because we're going off of a number that is probably an estimate rather than a hard number) there's only 15% of the songs that they couldn't afford to license.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's another song I thought was very integral to the plot. An episode I have not seen in ages where Johnny stands up Bailey on a date and the Earth Wind and Fire song, "After The Love Has Gone" is playing at the station. Hope that one marks it as I thought it fit the mood very well.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Derosa said: Pay what they have to, and price the set accordingly.

But how much are we willing to pay? Shout has to price these at a competitive and realistic price point--their other similar sitcom sets seem to run around $130-$140. Would you pay $200 for this one, or $250 or $300? Even with a good discount, it's going to run above $150 if they do that. In that case, many fans are going to sit around and wait for a sale.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Off the top of my head, the most important songs

Dogs - Pink Floyd
Hot Blooded - Foreigner
Tiny Dancer - Elton John
After The Love is Gone - EWF
Fly Me To The Moon (Jennifer's Doorbell)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks