Wireless router positioning

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Dockery, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be setting up a wireless network for my parents. I've read that the router needs to be above the other wireless components. Mine just happened to pan out that way. My parents cable connection comes into the basement. If I hook the router up there, will I have trouble getting a signal upstairs? It seems to me it shouldn't matter either way.

2. Tom Lowden

Tom Lowden Agent

It turns out that the higher a Wireless Access Point (WAP) is, the better the signal range is. So, mount the WAP as high as you can.

The WAP doesn't need to be above your other components, but it helps.

Remember, though - if the WAP is not secured properly, increasing your signal range also increases your (parents') vulnerability to the outside world.

- Tom -

3. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

I'll be using security, plus they won't have any file sharing enabled (they wouldn't understand it) so all they would really be vulreable to is someone using their bandwidth. Since they don't understand/need sharing, I keep their systems locked down. Thanks for the infor.