What's new

winlogon .exe error driving me nuts (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I have had an intermittent problem that is making me crazy.

I randomly get an error when shutting down. I'll shutdown the machine and it will reboot instead of turning off. When it reboots I get the following error messages:

Winlogon.exe

winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needed to close.

szAppName : winlogon.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : uxtheme.dll
szModVer : 6.0.2900.2180 offset : 000012b9

Error Report Contents

C:DOCUME~1ROBERT~1LOCALS~1TempWERafd0.dir00w inlogon.exe.mdmp
C:DOCUME~1ROBERT~1LOCALS~1TempWERafd0.dir00a ppcompat.txt

Sometimes my PC shuts down fine, sometimes it reboots on its own and I get this error. Sometimes when it reboots after I try to shut it down, it changes my Display Property Appearance from Windows Classic to Windows XP.

I have run Spybot, Ad-aware, AVG, MS on line AV and Housecall on-line AV. At this point I'm not really convinced if it's an AV issue or some messed up register issue. I'm about ready to reload the PC and start fresh, but would prefer not to if there is an easier fix.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on what the issue may be.

Thanks, Bob

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
After numerous web searches for this I finally found an answer. Apparently this isn't an uncommon problem. The fix was to go into Control Panel, Admin tools, Component services, services, themes and set themes from auto to disabled. Since doing this my issue with rebooting and theme changes upon start up are gone. I don't quite understand the details of why it worked, but it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks