What's new

Willow (2022) - Season 1 (Disney+) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ron Howard: "There are some really serious discussions going on with Jon Kasdan, who was one of the writers of SOLO who kept hounding me about WILLOW the whole time we were shooting and also hounding Kathy Kennedy. We are in discussions about developing a WILLOW television show for the Disney+, and I think it'd be a great way to go. In fact, George always talked about the possibility of a WILLOW series, which he just felt, innately, would be great, more intimate, built around that character and some of the others and Jon Kasdan has, I think, an inspired take on it and it could be really, really cool. So fingers crossed."

Josh Horowitz:
"And a continuation, not a reboot?"

Ron Howard: "No, a continuation, continuation and Warwick would be in it."
https://twitter.com/joshuahorowitz/status/1123402649536270338

If Val Kilmer is in this, I will buy Disney+ three times.

Willow's an ideal property for something like this. Just enough quality worldbuilding and nostalgia to build around, but flawed enough to be worth taking a shot at with better execution today.

You know, Kasdan is probably as good a choice as any, but if this thing goes forward, I hope they involve Bob Dolman somehow. The little bit of SCTV he managed to infect the original film with went a long way to give personality to a movie that otherwise might not have held together. Few things make me shudder more than the idea of the Willow universe deprived of its quirks.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well I thought the movie was terrible back then when we went to see it. watxhed it on D+ and still feel the same but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like the series, it has to be better.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ron Howard clarifies that the show is not yet greenlit, though Jon Kasdan was given the go-ahead to write the series pilot and start pre-production. Howard says that in the event of a greenlight, he will "roll up his sleeves" and participate, which sounds like he'd want more involvement than a nominal role, but it's unclear if he'd be directing.

I know any new fantasy show striving for the highest chance at success ought not make comparisons to Game of Thrones so easy to draw, but the idea of Madmartigan as a Robert Baratheon-type washout is pretty much exactly the circumstance that I want to see Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley back in this universe.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hearing from my buddy at Lucasfilm that Disney is now wanting all the scripts for a theoretical first season right upfront before they decide whether or not to pull the trigger. Ordering a show straight to series (as opposed to the traditional pilot-approach) has become more and more common over the years, but if Disney is going to buy in for an entire season, it makes sense that they want to be able to see what they are buying. Having the season pre-written probably makes them feel more confident about the accuracy of the budgeting, as well.

It's certainly fair to say that the prospects of a Willow follow-up have never been better, and if this falls apart, never will be again. Disney commissioning all this development work may be peanuts compared to the cost of going to production, but it's not nothing, either. Writers and concept artists and location scouts and other pre-production folk presumably do not work for free, and this has been going on for over six months now, so Disney is serious enough about exploring this.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bet you $1,000 Willow's wife doesn't appear in this series!!!!
1603727954895.png

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ellie Bamber (Nocturnal Animals), Cailee Spaeny (The Craft: Legacy), and Erin Kellyman (Solo: A Star Wars Story) are in negotiations to play three of the new leads:

Also, either those character-names are placeholders, or Lucasfilm is abandoning the most obvious candidate for a "new" female main character: Elora Danan.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I saw Chu's statement, and it's really unfortunate, since he sounds like he was really a fan of the original film. But I guess Lucasfilm is no stranger to getting new directors.

BTW, I expect the UK lockdown to affect a great many projects, including Lucasfilm's Obi-Wan series, which was due to film in London.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
James Newton Howard to fill the late James Horner's shoes as series composer:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I love the film, and I love the score by James Horner. I hope the
television series is just as outstanding as the film was for me.
For me. I know not everyone loved this film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I saw Chu's statement, and it's really unfortunate, since he sounds like he was really a fan of the original film. But I guess Lucasfilm is no stranger to getting new directors.
Yeah, I'm harder than most on Kennedy and Co., but this one was definitely out of their hands.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First, since when Lucasfilm has a youtube channel? Had no idea! Second, why everyone is the average size? Third, everyone is so good looking!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Willow is not in the same universe as Star Wars, right? Casting that Solo actress brought up this question to my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks