Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for your fine review. I'm going to pass on this particular release as I have the 11-27-01 DVD and 03-12-13 Blu-ray. I got rid of the DVD case, but placed the DVD itself into the BD case. Something tells me the same transfer was used for this release as the 03-12-13 BD.

Reactions: B-ROLL

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Same transfer or not, Willow is a movie that deserves to stay in print.

Didn't Ron Howard mention or hint last year that they may be working on a sequel?

Reactions: Todd Erwin

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Wasn't it basically a flop? I can't image it warranting a sequel.

I saw it first run and just walked away shaking my head at how bad it was.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wasn't it basically a flop? I can't image it warranting a sequel.

I saw it first run and just walked away shaking my head at how bad it was.
From Wikipedia:

Making over $57 million at the North American box office,[23] it was not the blockbuster hit insiders had anticipated.[24] It was not, however, a financial flop either, as it made a profit because of strong international, home video, and television sales.[25]
The budget was reported at a relatively modest (by modern standards) $35 million, so it was likely profitable in the end.

I believe the only real mention of a sequel has been in a tweet by Val Kilmer. Not sure how "official" that is.

I picked up the last blu-ray release, so I'll probably stick with that.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The Warwick Davis commentary is one of the better actor commentary tracks I've ever listened to. He's informative and engaging, without ever sounding self-indulgent. Good to have it included this time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Warwick Davis commentary is one of the better actor commentary tracks I've ever listened to. He's informative and engaging, without ever sounding self-indulgent. Good to have it included this time.
I've not played the commentary since 2001, but according to my review, I agree with you! :D

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I missed the 2013 release so I'm going to pick this up soon. Thanks for the fine review. I remember my brother had quite a few of the action figures when we were younger, we really enjoyed this movie.

Jeffreybomb

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Oh God. I can't believe this movie is 30 years old already. It was one of my favorites as a kid.

Judging by the review, it aged well.

DVBRD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Didn't Ron Howard mention or hint last year that they may be working on a sequel?
There have been talks of a Willow sequel for years. Warwick Davis is very supportive of the idea, as is Val Kilmer. I've also heard rumors that it will probably end up being a TV series. However, it has yet to be greenlit by Disney.

Brian Kidd

Premium
There were three official novelized sequels written by George Lucas (pretty sure his only contributions were some loose story threads) and Chris Claremont that came out between 1996 and 2000, but the fact that not many people know about them tells you a lot both about the quality of the stories and the size of the Willow fanbase. I read the first one, but it was so dull that I didn't bother with the other two in the trilogy.

Peter Rohlfs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
At the time Willow came out in the theaters there was a news story that on merchandising rights Willow had already paid for itself. I was very disappointed that the toys weren't very good.

SimonTC

Grip
Real Name
Simon
"Sadly, though, the original 2.0 stereo mix has not been included."

The 5.1 is based on the 70MM mix. :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
"Sadly, though, the original 2.0 stereo mix has not been included."

The 5.1 is based on the 70MM mix. :)
Doubtful; the 5.1 on the Blu-ray seems more expansive than even a late 80s six-track mix would have been, with some clear separation in the surrounds. It's also noticeably different from the 5.1 that was on the original DVD. I don't say this with any kind of authority, but I'm pretty sure it's a remix.

SimonTC

Grip
Real Name
Simon
Doubtful; the 5.1 on the Blu-ray seems more expansive than even a late 80s six-track mix would have been, with some clear separation in the surrounds. It's also noticeably different from the 5.1 that was on the original DVD. I don't say this with any kind of authority, but I'm pretty sure it's a remix.
Remember, starting with "Apocalypse Now" there were 5.1 stereo surround mixes in 70MM format. "Top Gun" is a notable example, and this mix was done by Skywalker Sound. The very next year in 1989 they did a 5.1 70MM mix for "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and that was also an expansive mix as well with huge dynamics.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Remember, starting with "Apocalypse Now" there were 5.1 stereo surround mixes in 70MM format. "Top Gun" is a notable example, and this mix was done by Skywalker Sound. The very next year in 1989 they did a 5.1 70MM mix for "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and that was also an expansive mix as well with huge dynamics.
There were relatively few split-surround 70mm mixes in the 80s. It's not the final word or anything, but according to https://in70mm.com/, Willow was not one of them.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayGeezy