What's new

will the video conversion from svideo to component affect the picture quality ? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
thats the first question.

second question :

is component video the only way to transfer progressive scan signal to the tv? if not why would anybody need an svideo to component conversion?

Stefan A

Second Unit
Yes, you must use component connection to take advantage of progressive scan. I don't know how to answer the other question. I didn't know you could transfer s-video to component.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I didn't know you could transfer s-video to component.
In effect, that's part of what happens inside a line doubler. But I can't think of another place where it occurs.

Felix, what kind of setup are you asking about?

M.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i got a feeling i posted this on the wrong forum.

i saw a thread about people using the receiver's feature to switch between more than 3 video sources, while not all of those video sources are component video. and one of those people said "its good to know that we dont need to switch those cables manually". if i am not mistaken they were talking about the denon 5803.

maybe i misinterpreted them. sorry for the silly question, i guess i am wasting your time.

thanks!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No need to apologize, Felix. You're not wasting anyone's time.

Video switching is a tricky area. It's not safe to assume that, just because a receiver or pre/pro has inputs for different types of video sources, it will allow you to switch among all of them.

Some designs opt for keeping the signal path "pure", so that there's no conversion circuitry in the mix. My old Pioneer Elite receiver was like that; if you connected S-video sources to it, you could only output them through the S-video connecton to the monitor.

Other designs let you switch one way but not the other. My current Lexicon MC-1 will output both S-video and composite from an S-video source. But it won't output S-video from a composite source.

I don't have or need component switching, but I'd be careful with any multi-purpose unit that claimed to derive a component signal from composite or S-video. That's the kind of delicate operation that really requires specialized circuitry to do it right.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks