What's new

Will older DVD players play DVD-A? (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I have a Panasonic A-120 DVD player which I purchased in 1999. It still plays DVDs flawlessly, so I'm not in any particular hurry to replace it, even though today's players are substantially less expensive and more versatile than my vintage player.

But I've been reading the hype lately about DVD-A and I'm curious to check it out. I understand that DVD-A is playable on most DVD players (unlike SACD), but I don't know if that includes older players such as mine. So my question is would I be able to play DVD-A, and would I be able to fully exploit the features that DVD-A offers?

If not, maybe it's time to think about updating.

Thanks in advance.
Steve K.

Michael_T

Second Unit
So my question is would I be able to play DVD-A, and would I be able to fully exploit the features that DVD-A offers?
You would be able to play the DVD-A disc, but only the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix (or DTS mix if your old DVD player can pass the DTS signal). You would not be able to take advantage of all the features that DVD-A offers, namely advanced resolution playback. In order to do that you definitely need a DVD-Audio player.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your quick reply, Mike. The Panasonic does do DTS, so that's no problem. I guess true DVD-A capability is something I'll need to look for in my next DVD player. Can you find that on most decent players now, or do you have to go to a "high end" player?

Thanks again for the quick response.

Steve K.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Can you find that on most decent players now, or do you have to go to a "high end" player?
I know you can find DVD-A capability on various models, ranging from in-expensive to "high-end". Personally I haven't kept up on what is available since I am quite satisfied with the two DVD-A players I own (the Technics DVD-A10 and the newer Denon 3800). But I do think you can get DVD-A capability in DVD players in the $150 - $200 from Panasonic, JVC, and Pioneer.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks