What's new

Why you might want to consider removing those black security tabs from your DVDs (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
In a recent thread regarding the security seals used on DVDs Drew Salzan wrote: While I don't really have a problem with the aesthetics of these tabs, I do make it a point to remove them right away when they are glued to the inside of the case and I strongly recommend to others to do the same.

The reason for this is that sometimes they are not firmly attached to the case and if they come loose, they will often scratch up and sometimes even stick to the exposed side of the DVD in the case. If the DVD is a flipper then the damage they can cause can be quite troublesome.

Even security tabs that appear firmly in place can come loose after time as the glue may break down after a long while just enough that it might cause the tab to come loose and again possibly attach to or scratch the exposed DVD.

So, my basic advice is to always remove the security tabs from your DVD cases.

Occasionally with non amaray style cases like the one mentioned by Drew, these tabs are placed between two layers of the plastic case and as such even if they came lose, they would not be at risk of attaching to the DVD.

Fortunately, it is becoming more common to see security stickers being used instead of the tabs, and often this stickers are simply attached to a blank paper insert beneath the DVD chapter insert (if a DVD has one - which more and more aren't). These are even easier to dispose of as you simply throw the extra insert away, but more importantly, there is no risk that the sticker might come loose let alone move around the case and damage or attach itself to the exposed DVD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
What do I do if the black sticker is stuck between 2 layers of cardboard in the case, forcing me to destroy my case in order to get rid of it? This was the case with my copy of the A Room With a View 2-disc SE; the black tab is actually sandwiched in the foldover page of the case. Buggers.

Blu

Screenwriter
We have a couple of stores who do not deactivate these little black sticky things. So what I do is gently peel them off and place them in the coats or clothing of unsuspecting co-workers!!!

Yep you guessed it! Fun is had by all!!! Well almost by all!!!

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I don't know if there's less shoplifting outside of NA or less paranoia about it, but there's none of those things or those goofy stickers on DVDs in Europe...I'm always irritated when I have to import something and take five million stickers off of something with low retail value.

Roy Van Nostrand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roy Van Nostrand
I've had one DVD that arrived in the mail where the black anti-theft strip had become detached and re-attached to the label side ...fortunately it hadn't been re-attached for very long and was easily removed and left no damage.

I've always removed those that I could and only recently have I marveled at how they've come to be inserted behind clear plastic inserts on paper or cardboard where they could NEVER be removed. Oh, well.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Whenever I've seen one of those security things start beeping in a store, it has always been a false alarm.

As others have probably already pointed out elsewhere, it would be pretty difficult to shoplift something from an online retailer.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron

Exactly. It's like a car alarm: the staff hardly take notice in shops because it's usually something from another store that wasn't cleared or something from the same shop that wasn't cleared. Not to mention which, what low-paid retail clerk wants a confrontation? Of course shops in the UK usually have security guards to deal with that sort of thing -- probably why they don't see the need to sticker everything. We do have those little metal slivers that were put into CDs years ago, but that's it. I think they use those in DVDs as well because I think I have a clear case with one stuck inside the cover...

Someone is certainly making a lot of money off these systems.

Michael Qualen

Stunt Coordinator

They CAN be removed...U just have to have a little patience and a knife. I carefully removed some from Legend Ultimate Edition and American Pie Ultimate Edition and a few others...

U can get a knife to go between the plastic and the cardboard/plastic, and then carefully just "wiggle" the tab off with the knife...it can take some time, but it can be done without destroying the cover...just be more careful when the tab sticks to cardboard...

I really hate those tabs, so they have to go ! I even found some behind the cardboard on WB´s snappers !

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
All this stuff on DVD's is insane. A local clothing store where I used to live, if I bought a DVD before going in there I'd set the alarm off on the way IN to the store. (Of course that would have made it really easy to shoplift, but I'm a good law abiding citizen:))

These security things don't bother me too much. Never had a problem. What DOES get me is the security label they stick to seal the packaging. In some cases one on the top, one on the side, and one on the bottom! How many of these damn things do they need? What a waste of resources! And the amount of times you tear the case when trying to remove it... GRRR!

Most heinous one is the used Jackass: The Movie DVD I got. To remove the security tab I had to utterly destroy the plastic on the back.

A sidenote: Fellowship of the Ring extended: The paper that listed the extras was lose against the back of the packaging. Two Towers: Stupid bastards GLUED it to the box this time, totally destroying the look of the package. Took me about 20 minutes to remove it, and even then it's slightly damaged the packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks