What's new

Why would I want a Roku? (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

Ronald Epstein said:
I will sign up for VUDU just for the free movies -- if I can cancel after a trial
Ron,Vudu isn't a subscription service like Netflix, so there's nothing to cancel. It's great to rent movies from, though. You defiantely want to use that over Amazon as Amazon only streams in 720p.One free app I can't live without is SkyNews, if you would like to use the Roku for something other than movies. Pandora is another good one.I am curious as to your thought on a blu-ray title vs. an HDX title on Vudu. Perhaps you can use a UV code on a new release to facilitate a comparison?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Donahue said:
Ron,Vudu isn't a subscription service like Netflix, so there's nothing to cancel. It's great to rent movies from, though. You defiantely want to use that over Amazon as Amazon only streams in 720p.One free app I can't live without is SkyNews, if you would like to use the Roku for something other than movies. Pandora is another good one.I am curious as to your thought on a blu-ray title vs. an HDX title on Vudu. Perhaps you can use a UV code on a new release to facilitate a comparison?
Roku also upconverts the Amazon 720p video signal to 1080p.

Mooooovies

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Can any Roku owners confirm if HBO Go, Showtime, and Max Go (Cinemax) are available applications?

Thanks!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes to HBO Go, Showtime just has sample episodes, No on Max Go the last I knew.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My old receiver doesn't have HDMI connections so I cannot watch Netflix in DD+ through my Roku 3. I have read that some HDMI connected receivers have issues with Netflix in DD+. Anyone having that issue? If not, what receiver are you using?

As far as HBO Go, it only works for specific Cable providers. Unfortunately, Comcast is not one of them.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you do not use your Apple TV much maybe you should wait and see if a 4K model comes out in the next couple of years?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks